Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2002/06/13 01:51:40 UTC

date format opinions

so i know we've been talking lately about default date formats, and i
just ran into an interesting point about them that i thought we should
think about.

according to some of the FreeBSD developers at USENIX, one of the many
things that annoy them about cvs is that cvs cannot parse the date
format used in 'cvs log', and apparently neither can ours at the
moment.  it would be nice if it could in the future.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: date format opinions

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> well, i only relay what they tell me, i didn't actually ask for a
> demonstration of the problem in cvs, i just checked to see if we
> screwed it up ;-)

Oh -- understood, didn't mean to imply that you had been lax.  If my
instincts hadn't whispered "Wait a sec..." I would have taken their
word for it too.

> perhaps the FreeBSD developer was using an older version of CVS or
> something.

Or got the log -d syntax wrong, which is sadly easy to do.

Re: date format opinions

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: date format opinions

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> according to some of the FreeBSD developers at USENIX, one of the many
> things that annoy them about cvs is that cvs cannot parse the date
> format used in 'cvs log', and apparently neither can ours at the
> moment.  it would be nice if it could in the future.

Absolutely it should.

But I'm surprised, because the dates used by cvs log look like this:

    2000/11/07 19:13:09

and our dates look like this:

   Wed 12 Jun 2002 15:06:29

... both of which should be handled fine by getdate().

So I tested... CVS parses its own dates just fine, and parses ours too
(I don't know what the FreeBSD developers experienced).  Subversion,
on the other hand, parses neither :-)

   subversion/clients/cmdline/main.c:894
   svn_error: #21114 : (Client error in parsing arguments)
     Unable to parse "Wed 12 Jun 2002 12:07:56"

Looks like we've got some catching up to do!