Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by unmesha sreeveni <un...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/27 11:41:10 UTC

Detailing on how UPDATE is performed in Hive

Hi friends
  Where can I find details on how update is performed in Hive.

​1. When an update is performed,whether HDFS will write that block
elsewhere with the new value.
2. whether the old block is unallocated and is allowed for further writes.
3. Whether this process create fragmentation ?
4. while creating a partitioned table, and update is performed ,whether the
partition is deleted and updated with new value or the entire block is
deleted and written once again?

where will be the good place to gather these knowlege​

--
*Thanks & Regards *

*Unmesha Sreeveni U.B*
*Hadoop, Bigdata Developer*
*Centre for Cyber Security | Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham*
http://www.unmeshasreeveni.blogspot.in/

Re: Detailing on how UPDATE is performed in Hive

Posted by "Yakubovich, Alexey" <Al...@searshc.com>.
Thanks, Nalinj.

From: Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 6:05 AM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Cc: User - Hive <us...@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Detailing on how UPDATE is performed in Hive

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+Transactions

entire implementation is under jira here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-5317

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM, unmesha sreeveni <un...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi friends
  Where can I find details on how update is performed in Hive.

​1. When an update is performed,whether HDFS will write that block elsewhere with the new value.
2. whether the old block is unallocated and is allowed for further writes.
3. Whether this process create fragmentation ?
4. while creating a partitioned table, and update is performed ,whether the partition is deleted and updated with new value or the entire block is deleted and written once again?

where will be the good place to gather these knowlege​

--
Thanks & Regards

Unmesha Sreeveni U.B
Hadoop, Bigdata Developer
Centre for Cyber Security | Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
http://www.unmeshasreeveni.blogspot.in/

--
Nitin Pawar

This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank you.

Re: Detailing on how UPDATE is performed in Hive

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.