Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2008/04/22 19:40:28 UTC

1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

It's Earth Day, and I'm pleased to announce that a 100% recyclable
Subversion 1.5.0-rc4 is up for testing and signing.  The magic revision
is r30753.

http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

As usual, signatures from full committers back to me, and enthusiastic
tester feedback is welcome.  At this point, this candidate is not yet
blessed for wide release, so please don't make it available to people
not interested in test-driving the new release.

Distro package maintainers, please do NOT include any pre-release
builds, even blessed, into operating system distros.  The reasons for
not doing so were very eloquently outlined by Karl in a mail, which is
summarized at the above address.

The quick version is: we don't guarantee compatibility between the
pre-releases and the final release, so if people install the release
candidate, all their repositories and working copies might break
unrepairably when they upgrade to 1.5.0 proper.  We don't want that kind
of bad publicity, and neither do you.

Let's get this tested, signed and released, so we can start the 1.5 soak!

-Hyrum

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> It's Earth Day, and I'm pleased to announce that a 100% recyclable
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc4 is up for testing and signing.  The magic revision is
> r30753.
>
>  http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

TESTED:
-------
[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ file | svn | http (neon) | http (serf) ]
JavaHL Bindings
Python Bindings

BUILT BUT NOT TESTED:
---------------------
Perl Bindings

SUMMARY:
--------
+1 to release.

RESULTS:
--------
All tests pass except I continue to see problems with the Python bindings tests:

C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests>run_all.py
...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ERROR: test_crawl_revisions2 (wc.SubversionWorkingCopyTestCase)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\wc.py",
line 18, in setUp
    SubversionRepositoryTestSetup().setUp()
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\trac\versioncontrol\tests\svn_fs.py",
line 53, in setUp
    self.tearDown()
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\trac\versioncontrol\tests\svn_fs.py",
line 62, in tearDown
    repos.delete(REPOS_PATH)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\libsvn\repos.py", line 74, in
svn_repos_delete
    return apply(_repos.svn_repos_delete, args)
SubversionException: ("Can't remove
'c:\\docume~1\\pburba\\locals~1\\temp\\tmpxbblxr-trac-svnrepos\\db\\revs\\0':
The directory is not empty.  ", 720145)
.
.
.

Unlike what I've seen previously I can't tweak
'subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\run_all.py' and run the tests
separately and get each to pass.  The wc.py tests fail everytime now
(for RC3 it was the trac tests with a similar failure).  Again this
looks like a problem with the tests themselves, not the bindings.

VERIFIED:
-------

http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/leander-hackberry/subversion-1.5.0-rc4.zip:

MD5: 8EFE4CB335760E62A37C5DC6A2931086
SHA1: DED581A1EB3FBA9A30807FBBE58E221E68C2E672
Excepting subversion/include/svn_version.h and www/hacking.html, the
contents of subversion-1.5.0-rc4.zip match
https://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.5.x@r30753

PLATFORM (all but the bindings tests which were done on another Win32 box):
---------
Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2
AMD Athlon X2
MS Visual C++ 6.0 SP6

DEPENDENCIES:
-------------
apr: 0.9.13
apr-util: 0.9.12
neon: 0.28.0
zlib: 1.2.3
OpenSSL: 0.9.8d
Apache: 2.0.59
BDB: 4.4.20 http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/32472/db-4.4.20-win32.zip
serf: 0.1.2

SIGNATURE:
-----------
User: Paul T. Burba (pburba) <pa...@softlanding.com>
1024-bit DSA key
ID 53FCDC55
created 2006/06/21

subversion-1.5.0-rc4.zip:

Paul

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> It's Earth Day, and I'm pleased to announce that a 100% recyclable
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc4 is up for testing and signing.  The magic revision is
> r30753.

I am + 1 for release.  I am providing signatures for the zip file
(tested on Windows) and the tar.gz (tested on OSX).

Windows:
   XP - MSVC 6.0
   Verified md5sum
   tested [ ra_local, ra_svn ] x [ bdb, fsfs ] + javahl
   All tests passed

subversion-1.5.0-rc4.zip

subversion-deps-1.5.0-rc4.zip

OSX 10.5:
   Verified md5sum
   tested [ ra_local, ra_svn, ra_neon, ra_serf ] x [ bdb, fsfs ] + javahl
   All tests passed

subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.gz

Thanks

Mark

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

   Release me, you sweet releaseable you.

OS/Platform:

   Debian GNU/linux very-recently-upgraded 'testing' dist
   Linux 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 17:45:04 UTC 2008 i686

Tested:

   [ fsfs ] x [ local, svn, serf, neon ]

   (Longstanding problem between BDB and httpd+mod_dav_svn prevents me
   from testing BDB; have posted about it, if anyone is familiar with
   such problems, let me know.)

Results:

   All pass.

MD5 Checksums:

   905fc5030be179d4d387803b8397668a  subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.gz
   477503b5ce6b99370814144417b8c994  subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.bz2

Signatures:

*** subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.bz2.asc:

*** subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.gz.asc:

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> BTW, the trust path between us is pretty long given that we work on the
> same
> project:
>
> http://pgp.cs.uu.nl/mk_path.cgi?FROM=DA561D91&TO=4E24517C&PATHS=trust+paths
>
> It would be great if we got your key signed.

I agree.  I'm going to be out in the Bay Area this summer, and hope to
get my key signed by a number of other committers in that area.  I'll
also be up at OSCON in July, and hopefully there will be a key signing
party there as well.

Either way, my web 'o trust should be a bit denser in a few months.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> It's Earth Day, and I'm pleased to announce that a 100% recyclable
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc4 is up for testing and signing.  The magic revision
> is r30753.
>
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

BTW, the trust path between us is pretty long given that we work on the same
project:

http://pgp.cs.uu.nl/mk_path.cgi?FROM=DA561D91&TO=4E24517C&PATHS=trust+paths

It would be great if we got your key signed.

+1 for release.

Centos 4.4 i386 and x86_86

apr 1.2.12
apr-util 1.2.12
bdb 4.6.21
neon 0.28.2
swig 1_3_25

[ ra_local, ra_svn ] x [ bdb, fsfs ]
javahl
perl 5.8.5
python 2.4.1
ruby 1.8.5

Did a recursive diff between r30753 and the main distribution files.

subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.bz2.asc

subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.gz.asc

subversion-1.5.0-rc4.zip.asc

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

    +1 to release

Tested:

    [ bdb, fsfs ] x [ local, svn ] + pl + py

Results:

    All tests pass.

OS/Platform:

    SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.1
    Linux athelstan 2.6.13-15.10-default #1 Fri May 12 16:27:12 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    Using SuSE distribution-supplied packages (not "subversion-deps"):
       apr      libapr1-1.2.2-13.2
       apr-util libapr-util1-1.2.2-13.2
       bdb      db-4.3.29-15.2
       neon     neon-0.24.7-20.2
       openssl  openssl-0.9.8a-18.23
       perl     perl-5.8.8-14.2
       python   python-2.4.2-18.10
       zlib     zlib-1.2.3-15.2

MD5 Checksums:

    477503b5ce6b99370814144417b8c994  subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.bz2
    905fc5030be179d4d387803b8397668a  subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.gz

Signatures

    ::: subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.bz2 :::

    ::: subversion-1.5.0-rc4.tar.gz :::

- Julian

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> It's Earth Day, and I'm pleased to announce that a 100% recyclable
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc4 is up for testing and signing.  The magic revision
> is r30753.
>
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

    +1 to release

OS/Platform:

    Ubuntu Linux 7.10 gutsy
    Linux amalia 2.6.22-14-386 #1 Tue Feb 12 07:12:19 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Tested:

    [ bdb, fsfs ] x [ local, svn, serf, neon ] + rb + pl + py + javahl

Results:

    Incredibly, all tests pass.

MD5 Checksums:

C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like all we need for release is one more Windows signature.
>  Ivan or Lieven, can one of you build and do this?
I'm running test suite now. It takes some time :)

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Hyrum K. Wright schrieb:
> Distro package maintainers, please do NOT include any pre-release
> builds, even blessed, into operating system distros.  The reasons for
> not doing so were very eloquently outlined by Karl in a mail, which is
> summarized at the above address.

And it would be even nicer if the package maintainers would give a hint
that the package is based on a snapshot or pre-release. Some time ago
(november 2007) I accidentally installed Subversion 1.5.0 from the
OpenSUSE build service to a customer's production server without
checking on the Subversion mailing list before if 1.5.0 already had been
officially released. It is still running without any problems on the
server but it would have nice if there had been any information about
the package being based on a pre-pre-alpha version.

Regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
Schweigstill IT | Embedded Systems

Re: 1.5.0-rc4 up for signing/testing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> It's Earth Day, and I'm pleased to announce that a 100% recyclable
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc4 is up for testing and signing.  The magic revision is
> r30753.
>
>  http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc4/

I'm +1 for release.

TESTED: [ fsfs ] x [ file | svn | http (neon) ]

RESULTS: All passed.

PLATFORM:
Windows XP Pro Version SP3
MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1