Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/06 17:35:50 UTC

Gradle build

All:

re: SOLR-13452. I’m now coming down on both sides of the issue. My motive here is if this was pushed, even in its current incomplete state, people would have an easier time contributing to the effort. Of course this means I would be asking people to use the gradle build at least on master if at all possible.

There are several assumptions I’m making here:

- we can keep running the Ant build as long as necessary. Ant would be our primary build process. The purpose of pushing the current Gradle effort is to make it easier for others to contribute and “just try it”.

- There are no conflicts between the Gradle and Ant builds, so we can continue to use Ant as necessary until we make the switch.

- people will commit up front to putting some effort into this. I flat guarantee I won’t carry the load alone. If nobody else steps up, I’ll table it. I will volunteer to push fixes from non-committers.
— Yes, people can do this already with the gradle_8 branch, it’d just be easier if it was already in the pull.

- moving to Gradle as our primary workflow won’t happen until we work out some of the kinks, things like.
— running on Jenkins.
— Getting the equivalent of “ant server dist” to run.
— Getting the ref guide built.
— I’m sure other things will crop up.

So there are several options, please let me know which one you prefer:

1. do nothing. People can check out the gradle_8 build and work on it. There has been some of this so far, many thanks.

2. merge it into master only. TBD is when we take Ant out of master.

3. merge into both master and 8x. Assuming we can continue to use both, I’m not sure what advantage there is to merging into 8x. This seems like something that should come along with a major version release.

4. wait until it’s feature-complete. Based on the evidence so far, this may be a long time coming.

Also, the timing is fungible. I don’t see a downside as long as we can continue to build with Ant. I certainly _do_ see a downside if we have to do everything Ant does immediately after pushing to whatever branches.

Erick

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
+1 to option 2.
As I'm working on the package manager, I hope to move to splitting up
pieces of Solr into their own packages (so as to have a lean core).
Having the gradle build will be important at that time, so I have keen
interest in seeing it merged soon.

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> — Getting the equivalent of “ant server dist” to run.

I never managed to understand what the proper assembly workflow is in
Solr, to be honest... the "create-package", "dist-*", "package-*"
tasks -- do all of these make sense (and need to be exposed in
gradle)?

> — Getting the ref guide built.

This should be done on a branch already.

> — I’m sure other things will crop up.

Oh, I'm sure they will ;)

D.

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Tomas Fernandez Lobbe <tf...@apple.com.INVALID>.
+1 to option 2 to begin with. I don’t know if we need to wait for a major release for this change, but I think it may be easier to iterate while it’s only in master for a while.

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
if for no other reason than to standardise on a sane trunk everyone can work on
+1 for backport to 8

________________________________
Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
I hoped to push my Ref Guide changes to the gradle_8 branch yesterday but got distracted with some other stuff for work. I don’t expect I’ll have time to work on it this weekend so if you push the other bits to master this weekend, I’ll make a new branch off master and will hopefully be able to get it in quickly early next week (I’m traveling Tuesday-Friday, so we’ll see).

Cassandra

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to option 2

Re: Gradle build

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> — Getting the ref guide built.
> >> — I’m sure other things will crop up.
> >>

> >> So there are several options, please let me know which one you prefer:
> >>
> >> 1. do nothing. People can check out the gradle_8 build and work on it.
> There has been some of this so far, many thanks.
> >>
> >> 2. merge it into master only. TBD is when we take Ant out of master.
> >>
> >> 3. merge into both master and 8x. Assuming we can continue to use both,
> I’m not sure what advantage there is to merging into 8x. This seems like
> something that should come along with a major version release.
> >>
> >> 4. wait until it’s feature-complete. Based on the evidence so far, this
> may be a long time coming.
> >>
> >> Also, the timing is fungible. I don’t see a downside as long as we can
> continue to build with Ant. I certainly _do_ see a downside if we have to
> do everything Ant does immediately after pushing to whatever branches.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> — Getting the ref guide built.
>> — I’m sure other things will crop up.
>>

>> So there are several options, please let me know which one you prefer:
>>
>> 1. do nothing. People can check out the gradle_8 build and work on it. There has been some of this so far, many thanks.
>>
>> 2. merge it into master only. TBD is when we take Ant out of master.
>>
>> 3. merge into both master and 8x. Assuming we can continue to use both, I’m not sure what advantage there is to merging into 8x. This seems like something that should come along with a major version release.
>>
>> 4. wait until it’s feature-complete. Based on the evidence so far, this may be a long time coming.
>>
>> Also, the timing is fungible. I don’t see a downside as long as we can continue to build with Ant. I certainly _do_ see a downside if we have to do everything Ant does immediately after pushing to whatever branches.

Adrien

Re: Gradle build

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
I’m fine with Option 2.