Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/07 12:26:48 UTC

Reducing the noise

Hi,

now that we are a TLP, wouldn't it be good to reduce the noise on the
developers mailing list? I'd be really glad, if we could achieve that.

I understand, that a common developers mailing list supports the
community, and that's of course good, but we could at least split off
mailing lists for the automatic mails. For example, having
fileupload-auto@commons.apache.org, lang-auto@commons.apache.org, and
so on, I'd subscribe to the former, but not to the latter.

Jochen

--
"Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
a preventative effect against manipulating elections.

The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
illegal actions are forbidden.

http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf

Re: Reducing the noise

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 8/7/07, simon <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> However if you're proposing a separate commit list for every project I'd
> be against that for a number of reasons. Why can't you just add a filter
> if you only want certain topics?

If I am the only one with the desire to reduce the noise, then the
proper solution is that I add some filter. If there are more of us,
that share my feeling, then we should discuss suggestions like mine.

Jochen

Re: Reducing the noise

Posted by simon <sk...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 12:26 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that we are a TLP, wouldn't it be good to reduce the noise on the
> developers mailing list? I'd be really glad, if we could achieve that.
>
> I understand, that a common developers mailing list supports the
> community, and that's of course good, but we could at least split off
> mailing lists for the automatic mails. For example, having
> fileupload-auto@commons.apache.org, lang-auto@commons.apache.org, and
> so on, I'd subscribe to the former, but not to the latter.

Well, as part of the TLP move a separate commits list for commons has
now been created.

However if you're proposing a separate commit list for every project I'd
be against that for a number of reasons. Why can't you just add a filter
if you only want certain topics?

Regards,

Simon