Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Schwarzer <st...@grid.unep.ch> on 2006/03/10 14:27:06 UTC

Checkout to (not from) server

Hi,

I searched the forum and Google for answers to my question, but
couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

due to security reasons I have to do checkouts/updates from my local
repository to a distant (web) server, and not as usual, vice versa.
Is this possible? I can't see how the command would look like.

_____________________

I try this here:

svn checkout file:///Users/schwarzer/Documents/subversion_cvs/
geodataportal/trunk svn+ssh://testserver:/www/geodataportal

_____________________

which results in:

svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///Users/schwarzer/Documents/
subversion_cvs/geodataportal/trunk'

_____________________

svn --version gives me the following:

svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)
    compiled Aug 29 2005, 10:50:03

Copyright (C) 2000-2005 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://
www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
protocol.
   - handles 'http' scheme
   - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
   - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
   - handles 'file' scheme

Re: Checkout to (not from) server

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 10, 2006, at 15:27, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> due to security reasons I have to do checkouts/updates from my
> local repository to a distant (web) server, and not as usual, vice
> versa. Is this possible? I can't see how the command would look like.

So then your local machine is the Subversion "server" and the remote
web server is the Subversion "client." So, as in any client/server
relationship, the client needs to be able to initiate a connection to
the server. So you need to install and run either svnserve or apache2
or ssh on your local machine. Then you would ssh to the remote web
server. Then, on its shell, you would issue the "svn checkout"
command to check out part of the repository from your local machine.

local$ ssh remote
remote$ svn co https://local/svn/project/trunk
remote$ exit
local$

So the local machine's IP address, or at least the svnserve or
apache2 or ssh port, needs to be accessible from the remote machine.
If you're behind a firewall or router, that means you'll need to
configure some things. If you have a cable modem or DSL line or for
some other reason a dynamic IP, then that's something you'll have to
contend with as well, possibly making your life easier with a dynamic
DNS hostname of some sort.

Re: Checkout to (not from) server

Posted by Ma...@gfa-net.de.
Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> Sorry, indeed, I had copied the wrong path...
>
> But although the path is now correct, it does checkout now into my
> home folder, instead of using svn+ssh...

svn+ssh is used as a method to access the repository.
But AFAIK the target of the checkout command is a path that has
nothing to do with Subversion itself. It's just a path.
So for me it's not surprising that it doesn't work like this.

I think you have to make the target path available for your local
system. I can't image that Subversion can be used like e. g. scp
or something like that. But I'm no expert in this area so maybe
someone else knows better and has a solution for this.

Mathias

Posted by Stefan Schwarzer <st...@grid.unep.ch>.