Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by scallawa <da...@altrec.com> on 2013/03/28 02:02:42 UTC

Solr sorting and relevance

We are using solr for search on our ecommerce site that primarily sells
clothing.  We index search terms based on a title field and description
field.

We want to be able to sort by most relevant and what we have more inventory
(there is a field for that).  We have done some coding outside of Solr to
try and achieve this but it causes the following problem.

Let's take jeans and boots as an example.  A customer might search on boots
and solr returns a bunch of boots and jeans.  The jeans are included because
the description might contain some data like pant legs fits easily over
boots.  Now if we have more inventory in the particular jeans than the boots
solr returned, the user will get back a list that shows mostly jeans at top
and then somewhere down the list boots will show up.

There isn't a problem with the jeans showing up but the boots should
actually be displayed first with the ones having the most inventory then the
jeans can be somewhere at the bottom of the list.

I want to eliminate the hacks that have been done to try to incorporate
inventory, i.e. have solr return the results and not manipulate it in code.

I hope I have explained the problem enough for you to get the gist of what I
am trying to accomplish.

Re: Solr sorting and relevance

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
Otis brings up a good point. Possibly you could put logic in your function
query to account for this. But it may be that you can't achieve the mix
you're looking for without taking direct control.

That is the main reason that SOLR-4465 was put out there, for cases where
direct control is needed. I have to reiterate that SOLR-4465 is
experimental at this point and subject to change.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like you might be able to get the mix you want with three
different boosts:

1) High boost on title
2) Lower boost on description
3) Function query boost on inventory

The high boost on title will help push products with matches in the title
to the top. The function query boost on inventory will help move higher
inventory to the top. You can also use the QueryElevationComponent to move
specific docs to the top for specific queries but this might not be
effective for your use case.

There is also a patch (SOLR-4465) which is experimental at this point but
is designed for people to move custom sort algorithms into Solr through
custom collectors. This is an advanced approach and would take a strong
understanding Lucene collectors.