Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Tom Ziemer <t....@dkfz-heidelberg.de> on 2005/05/06 10:39:38 UTC

Exception handling

Hi everybody.

I am currently working on a web service that is supposed to authenticate
a user against a ldap server. If the username/password combination does
not match, my LdapAuthManager throws an exception, which is passed to my
web service, which in turn passes it to the client.

To achieve this I looked at the examples provided by axis and started
from there. I copied/pasted the NoSuchEmployeeFault to my application,
refactored the classname and updated my wsdd accordingly. Yet when I
deploy my service, I get a warning about a java.lang.Throwable and "An
xml schema anyType will be used to define this class in the wsdl file".
The service is working though, but an additional error is thrown when my
fault is thrown saying that there is no mapping to deserialize
java.lang.Object.
When I change the my custom exception to extend Exception and not
RemoteException, as specified in the examples, none of the
warnings/error mentioned above occur and everything is working nicely.

Of course I should be happy now and move on, yet I do not like to have
"loose ends", so if anybody could explain this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Tom