Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net> on 2004/08/16 04:32:09 UTC

IdentityCheck directive in 2.1

The IdentityCheck directive seems to have moved to mod_ident.c in apache 2.1

One of the access tests explitly uses this directive

<Location /TestAPI__access>
     Options None
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
     AuthName modperl
     AuthType none
     IdentityCheck On
     SetHandler modperl
     PerlResponseHandler TestAPI::access
</Location>

Is there any way in the test config to use some kind of #ifdef or
something so that it can be excluded when testing 2.1 and included with 2.0?

failing that.. is testing ident required at all?

Re: IdentityCheck directive in 2.1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>>actually, what I would do is work around it for now then
>>>wait
>>>until we have something like APACHE1, APACHE2, and additional
>>>breakdowns of
>>>APACHE20, APACHE22, and Apache23 (or somesuch).
>>

>>May be just comment out 'IdentityCheck On' with an explanation of why we
>>did so, until we get those defines. We don't really test it anyway.
>

> yeah, sure, that's what I was suggesting, especially if we're not testing it
> anyway.  I'm not sure that it even warrants a test - who runs identd anyway?

Well, keep the test in place (testing that it's at least callable).

Re: IdentityCheck directive in 2.1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> actually, what I would do is work around it for now then
>> wait
>> until we have something like APACHE1, APACHE2, and additional
>> breakdowns of
>> APACHE20, APACHE22, and Apache23 (or somesuch).
>

> May be just comment out 'IdentityCheck On' with an explanation of why we
> did so, until we get those defines. We don't really test it anyway.

yeah, sure, that's what I was suggesting, especially if we're not testing it
anyway.  I'm not sure that it even warrants a test - who runs identd anyway?

--Geoff

Re: IdentityCheck directive in 2.1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ian Holsman wrote:
> The IdentityCheck directive seems to have moved to mod_ident.c in apache
> 2.1
>
> One of the access tests explitly uses this directive
>
> <Location /TestAPI__access>
>     Options None
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>     AuthName modperl
>     AuthType none
>     IdentityCheck On
>     SetHandler modperl
>     PerlResponseHandler TestAPI::access
> </Location>
>

> Is there any way in the test config to use some kind of #ifdef or
> something so that it can be excluded when testing 2.1 and included with
> 2.0?

On the perl level yes, but I'm not sure about the config, it should be
something like:

<IfDefine APACHE2_1>
    <IfDefine mod_ident.c>
       IdentityCheck On
    </IfDefine>
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine !APACHE2_1>
       IdentityCheck On
</IfDefine>

but I don't think we have that <IfDefine APACHE2_1>, Geoff?

Actually the test doesn't really check the return value at the moment:

     # XXX: this test requires a running identd, which we have no way
     # to figure out whether it's running, or how to start one. so for
     # now just check that the method is call-able.
     my $remote_logname = $r->get_remote_logname() || '';
     t_debug "get_remote_logname: $remote_logname";
     ok 1;

so it doesn't really matter whether IdentityCheck On or not.

You can safely comment it out for now.