Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/01/13 21:34:17 UTC

yet another possible IE4 HTTP/1.1 bug that I haven't heard about...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I think broken clients will likely cuase more of these in the future, and
> _ is ugly.

We already have to use _ for all the HTTP_ variables in things like
mod_rewrite rules.  Not that this is the only place our configuration
"language" is self-contradictory.  These sorts of differences make it
really hard for users to know what to use where.

Dean

Re: yet another possible IE4 HTTP/1.1 bug that I haven't heard about...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > '_' is an ugly thing to use everywhere, there are a number of variables
> > that have to be dealt with, very few people use the variables in the env,
> > and there is precedent for changing - to _ in variable names.
>
> There are exactly two variables that we define.  The user can fix their

I think broken clients will likely cuase more of these in the future, and
_ is ugly.

> own definitions if they have any.

How will they know to fix them unless we put special case code in to warn
about them using obsolete settings?  I just don't see the harm in munging
it.

> Is '.' allowed in environment variables?

bash sez:

       name   A  word  consisting only of alphanumeric characters
              and underscores, and beginning with  an  alphabetic
              character or an underscore.  Also referred to as an
              identifier.

[...]

PARAMETERS
       A parameter is an entity that stores values, somewhat like
       a variable in a conventional programming language.  It can
       be a name, a number, or  one  of  the  special  characters
       listed  below  under  Special Parameters.  For the shell's
       purposes, a variable is a parameter denoted by a name.

so in theory we should munge anything else...

It is allowed in the variables, of course, just not the name.

Re: yet another possible IE4 HTTP/1.1 bug that I haven't heard about...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Nevermind, I'll agree with you guys because I think I've found another
potential security hole.  Details and patch in a few.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Can't we just make a clean change in 1.3 ?  People have to touch their
> config files anyhow.  I'd rather not kludge it.

I don't see it as a kludge given that it is just an extension of the
"normal" world.

HTTP headers are converted into environment variables, and have -
converted to _.  People are very used to that.

All this does is extend that to other
things-which-shalt-be-turned-into-env-variables.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Gee what a great use for a veto.  To make an issue stagnant for even
longer.

So, for two variables:  downgrade-1.0 and force-response-1.0 we kludge the
server with extra code, which is quite easy to get wrong and miss a case
here or there.

Sounds logical to me.  (Yes Alexei, this *is* sarcasm.)

I personally like dashes as well, which is why we're in this situation (I
wrote the patch which introduced those).  However they have no place in
the environment.

Dean

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> There's an IE4.0 checkbox which says "make HTTP/1.0 requests to proxies".
> At least there was the last time I used it... and that checkbox was the
> main reason that microsoft never tested the preview releases against
> apache servers in the live world... 'cause their developers were hidden
> behind proxies, and making 1.0 requests.

But this isn't a proxy it is talking to.  It is just getting the
autoconfig file from an origin server that says what proxy to talk to,
which may happen to be the same as the origin server.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.