Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org> on 2006/03/21 19:23:42 UTC

Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

I've just checked in the last taglib refactoring work that I can
think of.  That turned out to be a much smaller chunk of work than I
had thought.  If you're following the wiki page[1] that means
Milestone 2 in the 4-step process to release is largely complete.
There's one remaining gaping hole that worries me.  In all the
refactoring I've done almost all the use cases in my applications
have worked without issue.  But I suspect I'm only scratching the
surface of what you can do with Tiles and I don't have much
confidence that the other stuff will work yet.

So, if there are people willing to help, I think we can take the
development in 2 simultaneous directions:  1) building test suites
and 2) moving on to Milestone 3: Remove Servlet API dependencies.
Ideally, I'd like to see test cases passing before we move on the
Milestone 3, but in the interest of getting things done, I see no
reason we can't start accepting patches for it.

As for the test cases, I'm not very familiar with Cactus or some
other web app testing packages.  So to save time, I've been testing
using a simple web application and clicking through.  I will
eventually move these tests to a better testing platform, but the
current method is working for now.  You can see a very limited list
of things I'm currently testing for on the wiki page.  I'll try to
add the rest.  I can also check my test app into the sandbox if it
will help.  Maybe someone can go ahead and start the process of
converting them to Cactus or whatever they need to be.  In the
meantime, I'd love to hear use cases that are not yet documented so I
can test for them.  Please send me your use cases.  I'll accept them
offlist either described in an email or with sample JSPs, or post
them to the list, or add them to the wiki page.  I'll feel a lot
better about things if I have a more comprehensive set of tests.

In addition I'm sure there are things that have been raised that I
haven't addressed. especially from Antonio Petrelli.  Please let me
know of those.

Thanks,
Greg

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StandaloneTiles#preview

Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On May 1, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Thanks.  Which build are you using?  I'd like to arrange Standalone
> Tiles into modules for Maven 2 so that the example app can live beside
> tiles-core, rather than in a separate sandbox project.

Yes, that would be awesome!  I am now using the Maven 2 build.  The
SAX issues I was having were resolved by updating my Surefire plugin.

Greg

Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/1/06, Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Done.  It's not much to speak of, but it's a start.  I checked it
> into sandbox/tiles-test.  The lib directory is empty.  It will need
> the following jars to run:

Thanks.  Which build are you using?  I'd like to arrange Standalone
Tiles into modules for Maven 2 so that the example app can live beside
tiles-core, rather than in a separate sandbox project.

I don't want to disrupt your work, though.

--
Wendy

Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Apr 28, 2006, at 3:06 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Craig mentioned HtmlUnit, which we're now using with Cargo to confirm
> that each Action 1 example app will at least deploy and display its
> default page.  If you'll check in the app you mentioned,

Done.  It's not much to speak of, but it's a start.  I checked it
into sandbox/tiles-test.  The lib directory is empty.  It will need
the following jars to run:

commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
commons-chain-1.0.jar
commons-codec.jar
commons-collections.jar
commons-digester-1.6.jar
commons-el.jar
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
commons-validator-1.2.0.jar
tiles-core-0.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

Thanks,
Greg

Re: [action1] Improving our tests -- long [was Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help]

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
If infrastructure would approve my request to run Jive on an ASF server, we wouldn't be having this discussion :)

In the meantime, you can "watch" the WebWork developer forum, which contains the chat transcripts posted each night:

http://forums.opensymphony.com/watches!add.jspa?forumID=32

Don

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
One thing that I might have blurred the lines on is that there are
basically 2 things being proposed here with respect to TestGen4Web.

#1 - The ability to easily create test scripts for cases that
      can only be proven and solved via a deployed app (and
      without cactus)

#2 - A set of scripts (that happen to be executed just like #1,
      yet serve a little different purpose) that recursively
      run through the cookbook links and assert success on the
      page after every click.

While the existing cookbook pages usually offer some kind of
interactivity (enter some data and see it work differently for
different values), the new pages that demonstrate the taglibs (or
test them, depending on your purpose) would be required to show some
kind of success message that can be asserted.  That value should not
appear if the test fails.  The success message will need to be
consistent if the tests are to be recursive.  Meaning that adding new
tests (recipes) to an existing page (chapter) would only require that
a new description and link be added and when clicked on will end up
showing a page where the text could be asserted.  Again, that applies
to the pages that test (and demonstrate) taglibs.

So, to mentally reorg the cookbook.  Instead of this:

--------------

   Simple Form using ActionForm      Execute <- link that gets
                                                clicked and tested

   Simple Form using DynaActionForm  Execute <- same

   Select and Options tags           Execute <- same

(and on down the page)

--------------

We might have a Table of contents as an index that links to pages
like the one above.

If no one objects, I'll proceed on it.

--
James Mitchell

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> It is not an issue anymore because I wrote a workaround in
> Dimensions code. It simply clears the "path" attribute of a
> definition when it's extended (overloaded) when the extended
> definition does not specify the "path" attribute.
> The workaround is not very elegant, I don't know if it deserves a
> Bugzilla ticket, because, maybe, the current one is the desidered
> effect...

That's what I was wondering.  I never had a chance to really look at
your solution to determine if the current code is the desired
effect.  If you were to post a ticket, it will ensure that this gets
looked at before a release happens.  If you don't it may get
overlooked.  After looking at the problem again I still don't fully
understand it so I will have to look deeper, in which case it may get
lost again if you don't open a ticket :-)

> I'll try to see if Dimensions can be adapted to the new form of
> Tiles, but I need to investigate deeply. But maybe you can answer a
> question: can I have a different definition for the same definition
> name? That is, if I want to get a definition as an object by giving
> its name, I want to check some circumstances and then decide which
> is the correct definition object to return to the caller. Can I do
> something like this?

My gut feeling is that you might have to extend DefinitionsFactory or
ComponentDefinitions or something like that to make this happen.  I
can't say for sure without looking deeper.  I would look closely at
ComponentDefinitions and see if it can happen there.

Greg

Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.
Greg Reddin ha scritto:
> Seems a couple of weeks ago you sent an email about a potential bug or
> missing piece.  We had a short exchange about it and it fell off my
> radar as I was trying to make sure I understood what your need was.
> It was something about Tiles definitions with extends and path
> attributes.  You may have even sent a patch and I was trying to
> determine why it was needed when I lost the thread.
Fortunately I marked the thread as "important" :-P  I will repost it at
the end of this mail.
> If it's still an issue for you let me know and we can reopen the
> discussion (probably with a Bugzilla ticket).
It is not an issue anymore because I wrote a workaround in Dimensions
code. It simply clears the "path" attribute of a definition when it's
extended (overloaded) when the extended definition does not specify the
"path" attribute.
The workaround is not very elegant, I don't know if it deserves a
Bugzilla ticket, because, maybe, the current one is the desidered effect...
> Also, if you could let me know if there are places where Standalone
> Tiles is still not viable for Dimensions I'd like to try to address
> those issues.

I'll try to see if Dimensions can be adapted to the new form of Tiles,
but I need to investigate deeply. But maybe you can answer a question:
can I have a different definition for the same definition name? That is,
if I want to get a definition as an object by giving its name, I want to
check some circumstances and then decide which is the correct definition
object to return to the caller. Can I do something like this?
> You're the only one that was extending the original architecture and
> has spoken up about incompatibilities with the new version.
Include Aaron Roller, the first Dimensions developer :-)
> Thanks,
Thanks to you
> Greg
Antonio

First mail:
<snip>
Does a definition such as this have sense?

<definition name="myName" extends="myExtends" path="path.jsp">
</definition>

This is just because I have a problem with inheritance between multiple
files.
Say I have two files, where the second extends the first.
The first definition file contains:

 <definition name="page.index" path="/layout/classic_layout.jsp">
   <put name="top" value="/tiles/top.jsp"/>
   <put name="left" value="/tiles/fourth.jsp"/>
   <put name="body" value="/tiles/login.jsp" />
 </definition>

The second file contains:

 <definition name="page.index.bug" path="/layout/three_rows_layout.jsp" />
 <definition name="page.index" extends="page.index.bug">
   <put name="top" value="/tiles/top_pda.jsp"/>
   <put name="left" value="/tiles/fourth.jsp"/>
   <put name="body" value="/tiles/login.jsp" />
 </definition>

When I use XmlDefinitionSet.extend method, the "page.index" definition
has both the "extends" (in fact "inherit") and "path" attributes! After
doing "resolveInheritances" it does not solve the problem.
I think the (possible) bug is in XmlDefinition.overload, where the
attributes are simply copied and not checked.
</snip>

**************

Second mail (by you, i.e. Greg)

<snip>
On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> Does a definition such as this have sense?
>
> <definition name="myName" extends="myExtends" path="path.jsp">

I've personally never had a situation like this where I extend a tile
and redefine the path at the same time.  I've always extended a tile
definition and overridden only the attributes.  But I can see merit to
the approach.  If the framework does not currently support it, it
probably should.

>  <definition name="page.index" path="/layout/classic_layout.jsp">
>    <put name="top" value="/tiles/top.jsp"/>
>    <put name="left" value="/tiles/fourth.jsp"/>
>    <put name="body" value="/tiles/login.jsp" />
>  </definition>
>

> The second file contains:
>
>  <definition name="page.index.bug"
> path="/layout/three_rows_layout.jsp" />
>  <definition name="page.index" extends="page.index.bug">
>    <put name="top" value="/tiles/top_pda.jsp"/>
>    <put name="left" value="/tiles/fourth.jsp"/>
>    <put name="body" value="/tiles/login.jsp" />
>  </definition>

To make sure I have this straight: You have "page.index" defined twice
in 2 different files?  Why not do something like this?

First file:
 <definition name="page.index" path="/layout/classic_layout.jsp">
   <put name="top" value="/tiles/top.jsp"/>
   <put name="left" value="/tiles/fourth.jsp"/>
   <put name="body" value="/tiles/login.jsp" />
 </definition>

2nd file:
<definition name="page.index.bug" path="/layout/three_rows_layout.jsp"
extends="page.index" />

Is it a requirement that you always reference "page.index" but get
different definitions in different contexts or can you reference
"page.index.bug" when you want the 3 row layout?

> When I use XmlDefinitionSet.extend method, the "page.index" definition
> has both the "extends" (in fact "inherit") and "path" attributes!
> After doing "resolveInheritances" it does not solve the problem.
> I think the (possible) bug is in XmlDefinition.overload, where the
> attributes are simply copied and not checked.

That's definitely a possibility.  Can you verify it?
</snip>

**********************
Third mail (by me) (at the end there is the patch):

<snip>
Greg Reddin ha scritto:

> On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
>
>> Does a definition such as this have sense?
>>
>> <definition name="myName" extends="myExtends" path="path.jsp">
>
> I've personally never had a situation like this where I extend a tile
> and redefine the path at the same time.  I've always extended a tile
> definition and overridden only the attributes.

Me too, this is because I asked you this.

> To make sure I have this straight: You have "page.index" defined twice
> in 2 different files?

Right

> Why not do something like this?
> 2nd file:
> <definition name="page.index.bug" path="/layout/three_rows_layout.jsp"
> extends="page.index" />
>
> Is it a requirement that you always reference "page.index" but get
> different definitions in different contexts or can you reference
> "page.index.bug" when you want the 3 row layout?
I need to use always page.index, because which "page.index" is decided
at runtime. In particular, the "base" page.index is displayed for HTML
devices, the "extended" page.index is displayed for PDAs (as usual I am
referring to Dimensions).

>> When I use XmlDefinitionSet.extend method, the "page.index"
>> definition has both the "extends" (in fact "inherit") and "path"
>> attributes! After doing "resolveInheritances" it does not solve the
>> problem.
>> I think the (possible) bug is in XmlDefinition.overload, where the
>> attributes are simply copied and not checked.
>
> That's definitely a possibility.  Can you verify it?

In XmlDefinitionsSet.extend I find this code:

<snip>
     XmlDefinition childInstance = (XmlDefinition)i.next();
     XmlDefinition parentInstance =
getDefinition(childInstance.getName() );
     if( parentInstance != null )
       {
       parentInstance.overload( childInstance );
       }
      else
       putDefinition( childInstance );
</snip>

So, if there is no parent definition, it is simply put, otherwise it is
"overloaded".
The "overload" method is:

<snip>
 public void overload( XmlDefinition child )
   {
   if( child.getPath() != null )
     {
     path = child.getPath();
     }
   if( child.getExtends() != null )
     {
     inherit = child.getExtends();
     }
   if( child.getRole() != null )
     {
     role = child.getRole();
     }
   if( child.getController()!=null )
     {
     controller = child.getController();
     controllerType =  child.getControllerType();
     }
     // put all child attributes in parent.
   attributes.putAll( child.getAttributes());
   }
}
</snip>

That is, for each property of "child", if it is not null, it is copied,
without modifying the original. IMHO if the "inherit" property of
"child" is not null, the "path" attribute
of the original definition must be set to null (if child.path is null)
or it should match child.path.
So the code could be:

<snip>
 public void overload( XmlDefinition child )
   {
   if( child.getExtends() != null )
     {
     inherit = child.getExtends();
     path = child.getPath(); //It's ok even if it is null
     }
   else if( child.getPath() != null )
     {
     path = child.getPath();
     }
</snip>

Obviously, after all XmlDefinitionsSet.resolveInheritances must be called.
What do you think?
</snip>

Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Mar 22, 2006, at 2:35 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> Uh? Who called me? I obviously will be pleased to help if you
> want :-) I could take my experience with Dimensions to add some
> missing pieces.
> Anyway, if I will be so lucky to help you all, notice that I am
> very busy, I can work on it for about 1-2 hour a day.

Seems a couple of weeks ago you sent an email about a potential bug
or missing piece.  We had a short exchange about it and it fell off
my radar as I was trying to make sure I understood what your need
was.  It was something about Tiles definitions with extends and path
attributes.  You may have even sent a patch and I was trying to
determine why it was needed when I lost the thread.  If it's still an
issue for you let me know and we can reopen the discussion (probably
with a Bugzilla ticket).  Also, if you could let me know if there are

Re: [OT] Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> Greg Reddin ha scritto:

>>> I meant one or two hours a day, not half an hour... It was a bit
>>> ambiguous...
>>>

>> If you have that much time to spend on it then I envy you :-)
>>
> But not on weekends, I would like dedicate those days for nicer
> things than Tiles, my girlfriend for example :-)

+1. For me it's complicated because I'm married to my girlfriend :-)
And there's three little people who think they live here...  And, not
only that, but they think I should spend time with *them* on the
weekends :-)  What's up with that?  And why don't campgrounds have
wireless access yet?

Greg

[OT] Re: Standalone Tiles: Status and Call for Help

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.
Greg Reddin ha scritto:
> In addition I'm sure there are things that have been raised that I
> haven't addressed. especially from Antonio Petrelli.

Uh? Who called me? I obviously will be pleased to help if you want :-) I
could take my experience with Dimensions to add some missing pieces.
Anyway, if I will be so lucky to help you all, notice that I am very
busy, I can work on it for about 1-2 hour a day.
Ciao
Antonio