Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ivan Latysh <Iv...@yahoo.ca> on 2006/12/29 21:08:08 UTC

Just a thought

Hello All,

  Just want to express my gratitude to all developers who is working on the project.
  You have done a great job !

  While browsing AXIS2 code-base and mailing list I noticed some minor issues that any project has, they are
  insignificant and fixable, but also I noticed one large issue that (AFAIK) hasn't been addresses well enough.
  And I can be mistaken, but I just want to point to it.

  I noticed that AXIS2 does not have defined service impl. lifecycle. We can see bit's and pieces from it all over, but
  no concrete definition (I refer to init() method, ServiceLifeCycle interface, etc.)

  From mailing list I can see that many users are confused by absence of defined lifecycle.

  I belive that this can be solved easy with little (or none) code refactoring.
  For instance let's take Apache Avalon framework, and we don't even need an implementation, just
  interfaces (just 28k jar). Or if dev. team don't want to bring on board one more framework,
  just create AXIS2 own lifecycle interfaces.

  Now when service impl want to be aware of different events it should implement an interface.

  So init() method will be defined in Initializable interface, ConfigurationContext will be given when service implement
  Configurable interface, when service want to know about MessageContext it implement Contextualizable.
  Also the great asset is to serve impl. with binding events (not data binding) when impl. bound to the request, axis
  session or transport session.

  So the beauty of this approach that existing services with just a business method will be unaffected, but it will give
  an extra power to the AXIS2 since developers will benefit from defined lifecycle.

  Anyway I would like to hear if developers are interesting in proposed solution.

--
Best regards,
 Ivan                          mailto:IvanLatysh@yahoo.ca

Re: Re[2]: Just a thought

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ivan,

Please open a JIRA issue and add your thoughts/comments.

thanks,
dims

Re[2]: Just a thought

Posted by Ivan Latysh <Iv...@yahoo.ca>.
Hello robert,

Re: Just a thought

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
Is this an example of what you may have in mind?

http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_1/spring.html#262

HTH,
Robert

message injection test

Posted by George Stanchev <Gs...@serena.com>.
Hi axis2 developers,

I am not sure if that has been already noted and fixed but I am throwing
it out
just for your information. If it has been already fixed - disregard this
message.

I was playing around with the message injection test in 1.1.1 tag:

axis2-integration/test/org.apache.axis2.engine/MessageContextInjectionTe
st

It is designed to test a message context injection but it is not working
properly.
It uses in-only MEP via fireAndForget() and so the request is executed
asynchroniously
via the thread pool and so the axis fault is never communicated back.

But if you change it to sendReceive() you will see the test failing.

The receiving service is implemented in MessageContextEnabledEcho which
has
init(MessageContext) method to set the message context on the object
before
invoking he business logic. However I could not find a message receiver
that
implements this kind logic. The test a vanilla
RawXMLINOnlyMessageReceiver()
which never calls the init method.

I know its minor, but it's a unit tests that succeeds when it should
fail and
in its current state the test would never succeed unless a different
receiver
is used (or I am missing something :-)

George Stanchev

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.