Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Samir Ahmic <ah...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/12 17:59:33 UTC

hbase-0.94.6.1 balancer issue

Hi, all

I'm evaluating hbase-0.94.6.1 and i have 48 regions on 2 node cluster. I
was restarting on of RSs and after that tried to balance cluster by running
balancer from shell. After running command regions were not distributed to
second RS and i found this line i master log:

2013-04-12 16:45:15,589 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.LoadBalancer:
Skipping load balancing because balanced cluster; servers=2 *regions=1
*average=0.5
mostloaded=1 leastloaded=0

This look like to me that wrong number of regions is reported by balancer
and that cause of  skipping load balancing . In hbase shell i see all 48
tables that i have and everything else looks fine.

Did someone else see this type of behavior ? Did something changed around
balancer in hbase-0.94.6.1 ?

Regards
Samir

Re: hbase-0.94.6.1 balancer issue

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies, Jean-Marc.

HBASE-7060 is related to the scenario Samir described:
Region load balancing by table does not handle the case where a table's
region count is lower than the number of the RS in the cluster

It was fixed in 0.94.3

Cheers

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. looks like issue is still present.

I think the issue expressed in HBASE-7060 is slightly different:

bq. For example, the cluster has 100 RS, the table has 50 regions sitting
on one RS,

Note: one table had 50 regions

Posted by Samir Ahmic <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi, J-D

Well at this moment i have that edge case with only one region per table:).
Like i said i was using 0.90 for  long time and regions were distributed
evenly  on all RSs regardless on region per table ratio. Here is
what confused me (like i said i have 2 nodes cluster distributed mode):

start-hbase ------>  tables(regions) are distributed evenlyon two RSs (As
expected)
stop one RS -------> all tables(regions) are moved to remaining RS (as
expected)
start RS that was down ---> run balancer ---> LOG:2013-04-12 19:47:20,725
INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.LoadBalancer: Skipping load balancing
because balanced cluster; servers=2 regions=1 average=0.5 mostloaded=1
leastloaded=0 ----> all tables(regions) stayed  on one server (this is what
i did not expect ?????) :)

Here is is part of status 'detailed' from shell ater i start RS that was
down and run balancer:

hbase(main):001:0> status 'detailed'
version 0.94.6.1
0 regionsInTransition
master coprocessors: []
2 live servers
    172.17.33.2:60020 1365787755294
        requestsPerSecond=0, numberOfOnlineRegions=0, usedHeapMB=38,
maxHeapMB=3487
    172.17.33.3:60020 1365777858778
        requestsPerSecond=0, numberOfOnlineRegions=49, usedHeapMB=53,
maxHeapMB=3487

So because i have 1 regions per table regions were not rebalances after
start RS  that was down?

Thanks
Samir

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.