Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by mi...@pricejunkie.com on 2006/03/08 20:41:36 UTC

Windows/IIS user

I currently run all my projects on Windows Server/IIS/C# and I use the C# dotnetlucene version.

After reviewing solr I am excited about trying it out however I am a windows guy. I am going to try and set up solr using Tomcat/ISAP_Redirector/J2EE AND even try to use the original lucene(java version).

Since I am somewhat new to java as well, could someone give me requirements to develop with solr/lucene for java? For example: is eclipse ok as the development tool and is tomcat the preferred container?

Also, what drawbacks or limitations do you see if I use windows server/IIS with Tomcat/sobr?

Thanks,
Mike Austin

Re: Windows/IIS user

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Really?  Good to know.  My mistake, my apologies ;)

Yoav

--
Yoav Shapira
Senior Architect

Re: Windows/IIS user

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

Re: Windows/IIS user

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

> After reviewing solr I am excited about trying it out however I am a windows guy. I am >going to try and set up solr using Tomcat/ISAP_Redirector/J2EE AND even try to use the >original lucene(java version).

Know that although the ISAP_Redirector is a stable and mature piece of
software, it's not super-actively maintained.  Bugs are fixed and new
features added, but only very occassionally.

> Since I am somewhat new to java as well, could someone give me requirements to >develop with solr/lucene for java? For example: is eclipse ok as the development tool and >is tomcat the preferred container?

You need a JDK, preferably 1.4 and higher.  Any Servlet 2.3 compliant
container should work, so Tomcat 5.x or later, Jetty 5.x or later,
recent (<3 years old) versions of WebSphere or Weblogic, all should be
fine.  I'm biased towards Tomcat as the preferred container, but
that's just me ;)

Eclipse should also be OK as a development platform,

> Also, what drawbacks or limitations do you see if I use windows server/IIS with >Tomcat/sobr?

Drawbacks or limitations compared to what other approach?

Yoav

--
Yoav Shapira
Senior Architect

Re: Windows/IIS user

Posted by Ian Holsman <Ia...@Holsman.net>.
we're probably floating a bit off topic here, but yes.. if you have
DHCP in your network
it should auto-detect it.

--
Ian@Holsman.net -- blog: http://feh.holsman.net/ -- PH: ++61-3-9877-0909

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -
Mario Andretti

Re: Windows/IIS user

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
So by the direction you are going, I assume you need multiple
searchers with index distribution/replication?  If not, stick with
Windows since you are familiar with it.

-Yonik

On 3/8/06, Mike.Austin <Mi...@pricejunkie.com> wrote:
> Hmm.. this seems tougher than I thought it would be. I'm going to do some
> research on this.. Also, I'm running 2 AMD opteron 64bit processors and I'm
> seeing that most of the main linux distribs support 64bit. Free would be
> best in my situation.
>
> For most linux distributions, is hooking up to networks and the internet
> easy?

These days, yes.  As long as your hardware isn't exotic.

Re: Windows/IIS user

Re: Windows/IIS user

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: Windows/IIS user