Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/18 12:07:45 UTC

CloudStack implementations

Do we have any general stats on how cloudstack is being used? Common
deployment sizes, largest deployments, etc? I'm curious as to how far
people have actually scaled it in real deployments, although I realize that
the info can be proprietary.

Re: CloudStack implementations

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 18.03.2014 11:07, Marcus wrote:
> Do we have any general stats on how cloudstack is being used? Common
> deployment sizes, largest deployments, etc? I'm curious as to how far
> people have actually scaled it in real deployments, although I realize
> that
> the info can be proprietary.

That's a very good question. A good indicator might be similar stats
from Openstack:
https://twitter.com/cdaffara/status/438700618975154176/photo/1

I realise there are some large deployments out there, but I suspect
most installations are quite "modest".

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: CloudStack implementations

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
If you do the math on that twitter slide, it looks like the poll
represents ~140 responses. I wonder how that poll was marketed as
opposed to Giles' 270 responses.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 18.03.2014 11:07, Marcus wrote:
> Do we have any general stats on how cloudstack is being used? Common
> deployment sizes, largest deployments, etc? I'm curious as to how far
> people have actually scaled it in real deployments, although I realize
> that
> the info can be proprietary.

(copying same message from users@)

That's a very good question. A good indicator might be similar stats
from Openstack:
https://twitter.com/cdaffara/status/438700618975154176/photo/1

I realise there are some large deployments out there, but I suspect
most installations are quite "modest", i.e. "VPS" level.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: CloudStack implementations

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Mar 18, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Marcus <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Do we have any general stats on how cloudstack is being used? Common
> deployment sizes, largest deployments, etc? I'm curious as to how far
> people have actually scaled it in real deployments, although I realize that
> the info can be proprietary.

The largest deployment is 40,000 physical hosts.

RE: CloudStack implementations

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Wido
+1 on that idea

I know many people get nervous about such things for a FOSS project, so we would need to make sure that anything is transparent, is VERY careful about data and gives people the option to opt-out

The simple fact is that we don't currently have any idea how many production deployments, their scale,etc

We did a survey last year and got c.270 responses -  but we had to promote the awareness of that surevey and  there were plenty of ACS sites I know of who just didn't respond.  There will be many others that I don't know of

What differentiates ACS from other similar techs IMO is the number of production deployments. If we cant quantify that, it sounds like a lot of hot air.

Another approach, may be to put a "showcase" area on the website where people can submit their own sort of case studies

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Hitchins <al...@shapeblue.com>.
+1 on this tool.

Regards

Alex Hitchins

D: +44 1892 523 587 | S: +44 2036 030 540 | M: +44 7788 423 969

alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.
I was thinking something along the same lines. The current API & UI plugin frameworks would allow for an optional plugin which can be added to any deployment post-install. It could allow for configurable reporting so that users can decide what information is acceptable to report. If we can get the infrastructure set up, it could even allow for reporting of actions in real time, such as when new hosts are added, how many instances are brought up per week, etc.

--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Hi Wido,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:58 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 03/18/2014 02:06 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>
>> Cool idea, we can also have a monkey-brag ACS plugin which gives users an
>> API which can be triggered via cloudmonkey cli tool or by some gui/button
>> on the frontend to submit stats anonymously to our servers.
>>

> So I was thinking of writing 'cloudstack-report' as a tool.
>
> The Debian and RPM packages can install a CRON which runs weekly/monthly
> to invoke the tool and reports to our service.
>
> Via a config in /etc/cloudstack/report people can configure the tool. They
> could add their company/organization if they want or leave it set to
> anonymous.
>
> The tool could do a PUT with some JSON data to 'report.cloudstack.org'
> which runs ElasticSearch where we then store all the data.

+1 Good idea, elasticsearch is great for slicing and dicing of data!

As Marcus suggests there could be a lot of CloudStack installations which
may not be public, so we should leave the right to the users/admin to let
us inform the report via an API or when the "cloudstack-report" is
installed it asks whether the admin wants to report anonymous installation
data.

Chip recently shared that the largest installation of CloudStack consisted
on 40k hosts, for such an installation how many ACS servers were running
(in cluster) and what was the size of the MySQL database. Such information
can help us to prioritize ACS-future tasks such as rewriting/fixing the
ORM, consensus between management servers, splitting of ACS services (as
api service, orchestrator, cloud-engine etc.). Having a reporting tool
which could tell us such information would help in driving features and
goals.

Regards.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
I think we'd want to make it such that it wouldn't require external
access to report, if possible. I just think there may be plenty of
intranet/local deployments, or people who have private management
servers and separate public UIs.

Re: CloudStack implementations

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
I think its critical. It's difficult for me to pitch CloudStack as a
solution if I have no stats to show what's possible or how much of a
userbase it has. It would have been nice to have that yesterday. I
think in the past year things have gone backward in this regard, as
there used to at least be a list of contributing vendors somewhere
that I can no longer find. I wonder perhaps if that's due in part to
migration to the ASF. I think it will be hard to stay relevant if it's
difficult for the average IT person to get a sense of how active the
community is by visiting the site.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.