Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by tomasz brymora <to...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/01 17:46:55 UTC

Grails anybody?

Greetings!
I just have a couple of quickie questions.

Is anyone using iBatis with Grails?

Are there any plans in the works for an iBatis plugin
for Grails?

I've been working on project using Grails and as much
as I like the concept, it's integration with Hibernate
is pretty much a deal breaker for non-prototype dev.

thanks, T

Re: Grails anybody?

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
We actually do have a gBatis project started offsite of apache (
http://gbatis.silvermindsoftware.com/). It is extremely preliminary. The
thought was to write a complete Groovy based implementation of iBATIS from
ground up. I've put the project on hold for the immediate until the iB3 API
comes out. With the way iB3 is being written it may be easier to integrate
iB3 with Groovy rather than write a ground up implementation.

The goals are pretty simple.

* provide a more robust means of executing sql - There is definitely room to
improve groovy sql with an ibatis approach to sql execution.
* provide a way to configure using builders
* provide a dynamic sql implementation

Brandon Goodin

Re: Grails anybody?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Grails anybody?

Posted by Darren Davison <da...@davisononline.org>.
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:46:55AM -0700, tomasz brymora wrote:
> Is anyone using iBatis with Grails?

I'm not, but I do use both grails and iBATIS a lot on different
projects.

There should be no reason not to.  Since pre-1.0 of grails, they removed
the tight coupling to hibernate and you can now simply take hibernate
out of the equation for any grails project by removing the hibernate
plugin.

Unfortunately I can't speak intelligently about how you plugin another
persistence mechanism since I've never tried it.  Suggest you ask on the
grails mailing list, which is high volume but pretty responsive too.

I think your post does raise an interesting point about grails though
(to wander slightly, but not entirely OT).  I can't help thinking the
dev team has missed a bit of a trick here.  Grails is a superb
framework, but surely it's sweet spot has got to be providing web
front-ends, with all the great plugins and ajaxy stuff it makes so easy,
but against legacy middle- and/or back-end tiers that already exist or
will be written in Java.  I know they'll tell me you *can* do this, but
IMHO they should push it harder - seems a more likely path to the
enterprise than pushing the full-stack green-field capabilities of the
framework.

Just my $0.02

--
Darren Davison