Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/02 23:17:51 UTC

Re: CXF-DOSGi passing the OSGi Remote Services and Remote Service Admin CT

Hi Sergey,

Some comments below...

On 13 May 2010 12:42, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So now that we have a passing RI I think it would make sense to start
>> planning a CXF-DOSGi release. I'm wondering what we should do before
>> that...
>> 1. There are some SEVERE 'warnings' coming up, I believe from the
>> Topology Manager. We should probably take a look at those.
>> 2. I once added some Discovery system tests, which I ended up not
>> enabling because of memory issues. I might want to try and get them
>> working on all platforms.
>> 3. Anything else?
>>

> - consolidation of DOSGI RI specific properties. Example, you added a useful
> property called "org.apache.cxf.ws.port" so JAXRS endpoints need to 'catch
> up' with "org.apache.cxf.rs.port".
> Perhaps we can continue adding such 'parallel' properties, but I'm
> wondering, can "org.apache.cxf.ws.port"
> be replaced with "org.apache.cxf.endpoint.port" or
> "org.apache.cxf.http.port" ? Later on, in post 1.2, we can deprecates some
> of other 'duplicate' properties.

Well, the Remote Services Admin spec mandates that the configuration
properties follow a certain pattern. If the configuration type is
called org.apache.cxf.ws then its specific configuration variables
should be called org.apache.cxf.ws.something (see table 122.1 in the
OSGi 4.2 Enterprise Spec http://www.osgi.org/Download/Release4V42).
This is to avoid name clashes when you want to expose a service using
multiple Remote Service implementations that may not be aware of each
other. So to be compliant we have to live with parallel properties.

I do agree on matching up the properties where this makes sense across
org.apache.cxf.ws and org.apache.cxf.rs

> - HTTPS support ? May be a discussion on the dev list can be initiated, a
> solution agreed upon and then someone from the community can step forward
> and work on it ? As a side note, a CXF user has approached me regarding
> fixing a JAXRS Jettison issue in DOSGI 1.1 (default Jettison provider does
> not work in DOSGi 1.1, needs to be fixed for 1.2 too) so I think there are
> experienced and motivated users who can help...

While I agree that this would be great to have, I'm not sure if we
should wait for it to be finished. I'm not aware of anyone working on
this at the moment (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Months of work
have gone in making CXF-DOSGi compliant with the spec and I don't
think we should hold releasing this off until a nice piece of
functionality which hasn't even been started on has been finished.
There's nothing wrong with releasing often, so if this functionality
appears we can do a release again, unless someone is already working
on HTTPS support of course...

Best regards,

David

Re: CXF-DOSGi passing the OSGi Remote Services and Remote Service Admin CT

Posted by Julien Vey <Ju...@bull.net>.
Le 04/06/2010 14:32, David Bosschaert a écrit :
> Yes, if the configuration type was called org.apache.cxf then the
> configuration for it is allowed to be called org.apache.cxf.something.
>
> I guess I'm wondering whether this is worth the effort though.
> Originally the configuration type was called 'pojo'. When we moved to
> org.apache.cxf.ws we made sure 'pojo' continued to work as
> backward-compatibility measure in case people were using it. I think
> if we move to org.apache.cxf instead of org.apache.cxf.ws we should
> again keep backward compatibility, which in itself means a lot of
> duplication...
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

Yes I agree
Maybe would it be better to keep it the way it is for now and introduce
this new configuration for a future major release.

Cheers,

Julien

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Vey <Ju...@bull.net>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

> >Having some properties in the CXF space "org.apache.cxf" seems to be
> > totally compliant ? Then they can be 'inherited' by cxf.ws, cxf.rs.
>
> Not entirely sure what you mean here, but a 'reverse domain' name is
> used here to avoid overlap between two technologies that are unaware
> of each other. Just like in Java Package names. So using just 'cxf.ws'
> is a shorter but not entirely compliant.
>
> Well, I just was lazy typing 'org.apache'. Basically what I meant was that
using a property such
as 'org.apache.cxf.something' when configuring the service (soap/rest) using
does not seem like breaking the compliance rules

> >> I do agree on matching up the properties where this makes sense across
> >> org.apache.cxf.ws and org.apache.cxf.rs
> >>
> >> So how would you rename a property like "org.apache.cxf.ws.port" ?
>
> org.apache.cxf.rs.port
>
> That was my concern after all.., was  hoping we could stop the
duplication... At the same time perhaps it's not a big issue in the end of
the day, as I mentioned, the number of new properties which will have to be
duplicated which can be added in addition to those which we already have is
very limited

Sergey

David

Re: CXF-DOSGi passing the OSGi Remote Services and Remote Service Admin CT

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM, David Bosschaert <
david.bosschaert@gmail.com> wrote:

>  >>

> > - consolidation of DOSGI RI specific properties. Example, you added a
> useful
> > property called "org.apache.cxf.ws.port" so JAXRS endpoints need to
> 'catch
> > up' with "org.apache.cxf.rs.port".
> > Perhaps we can continue adding such 'parallel' properties, but I'm
> > wondering, can "org.apache.cxf.ws.port"
> > be replaced with "org.apache.cxf.endpoint.port" or
> > "org.apache.cxf.http.port" ? Later on, in post 1.2, we can deprecates
> some
> > of other 'duplicate' properties.
>
> >> 3. Anything else?
> Well, the Remote Services Admin spec mandates that the configuration
> properties follow a certain pattern. If the configuration type is
> called org.apache.cxf.ws then its specific configuration variables
> should be called org.apache.cxf.ws.something (see table 122.1 in the
> OSGi 4.2 Enterprise Spec http://www.osgi.org/Download/Release4V42).
> This is to avoid name clashes when you want to expose a service using
> multiple Remote Service implementations that may not be aware of each
> other. So to be compliant we have to live with parallel properties.
>
> Having some properties in the CXF space "org.apache.cxf" seems to be
totally compliant ? Then they can be 'inherited' by cxf.ws, cxf.rs.

> I do agree on matching up the properties where this makes sense across
> org.apache.cxf.ws and org.apache.cxf.rs
>
> So how would you rename a property like "org.apache.cxf.ws.port" ?

>  > - HTTPS support ? May be a discussion on the dev list can be initiated,
> > solution agreed upon and then someone from the community can step forward
> > and work on it ? As a side note, a CXF user has approached me regarding
> > fixing a JAXRS Jettison issue in DOSGI 1.1 (default Jettison provider
> does
> > not work in DOSGi 1.1, needs to be fixed for 1.2 too) so I think there
> are
> > experienced and motivated users who can help...
>
> While I agree that this would be great to have, I'm not sure if we
> should wait for it to be finished. I'm not aware of anyone working on
> this at the moment (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Months of work
> have gone in making CXF-DOSGi compliant with the spec and I don't
> think we should hold releasing this off until a nice piece of
> functionality which hasn't even been started on has been finished.
> There's nothing wrong with releasing often, so if this functionality
> appears we can do a release again, unless someone is already working
> on HTTPS support of course...

Sure, it's been a big effort indeed. Perhaps HTTPS can even be implemented
'out of band' by users if needed :
http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/SSL+Configuration; future DOSGI
releases may support it at the intents level

thanks, Sergey