Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2006/09/29 14:00:37 UTC

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

hepabolu wrote:
> I agree, but does anyone know what is needed for this? I went as far
> back as May 2005 but every topic on roadmaps and release plans for 2.2
> get mixed up with discussions on related topics/ideas/opinions etc.
>
> I've seen the phrases "documentation is lacking" and "documentation is
> lagging behind" several times, and would love to do something about it,
> but I have no clue where to start and what to do.

I fear this is a common problem right now, and only a few of us (if
any!) know what is left to do. From my pov there is a minor thing
unfinished with processor/container handling which I want to discuss at
the hackathon and then finish. Apart from that we should wait for the
final release of Spring 2.0 which has some incompatible changes to RC we
currently use. But Spring 2.0 will be released in 3 days, so that should
be a problem.

So the real remaining parts are documentation and samples, I guess.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>>
>>> As long as Cocoon samples webapp is not complete
>>
>> What's missing?
>
> The complete and working webapp :) Have you seen it? Only couple of
> blocks are "in". The rest is never tried / tested.
>

>>> , nothing can be labeled as "released". You can say that M1 was only
>>> first step in the proof of concept for maven migration. Next step is
>>> to have complete and functional samples webapp, and yet next is to
>>> have Cocoon 2.2 downloadable deliverables,
>>
>> What do those deliverables contain?
>
> Source distribution, containing complete source code. *Ideally* it would
> contain all required libraries as well, but probably that's not possible
> with Maven.
It probably is.. have a look at assembly plugin.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Jorg Heymans wrote:
>>
>> On 02 Oct 2006, at 16:25, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I can see, latest assembly plugin (2.2-SNAPSHOT) can not
>>> create assemblies from multi module projects. I tried:
>>>
>>>  $ svn co
>>> svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-assembly-plugin/
>>>  $ cd src/it/multimodule/two-level-multimodule
>>>  $ mvn `cat goals.txt`
>>>
>>> Fails with:
>>>
>>> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>>> [INFO] Included module: test:child-level1-project2:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT
>>> does not have an artifact with a file. Please ensure the package
>>> phase is run before the assembly is generated.
>>

>> I flagged this with the maven peeps, it is being investigated. At
>> least maven's behaviour here is consistent with the rest of its features.
>
> Vadim and I already find out: You have to invoke the package phase
> before you run the assembly plugin and you have to make sure that it is
> run within the same build:
>
> mvn package assembly

Yes, that is what I used above. Contents of goals.txt is:

   package assembly:directory

Vadim

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
On 02 Oct 2006, at 16:25, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> As far as I can see, latest assembly plugin (2.2-SNAPSHOT) can not
> create assemblies from multi module projects. I tried:
>
>  $ svn co svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-
> assembly-plugin/
>  $ cd src/it/multimodule/two-level-multimodule
>  $ mvn `cat goals.txt`
>
> Fails with:
>
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO] Included module: test:child-level1-project2:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT
> does not have an artifact with a file. Please ensure the package
> phase is run before the assembly is generated.

I flagged this with the maven peeps, it is being investigated. At
least maven's behaviour here is consistent with the rest of its
features.

Jorg

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:

<snip/>

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't need no assembly plugin, I can manage to do a trunk build.
>>> What about users? Forcing maven down everybody's throat is not a
>>> sound business plan. Who wants to use it, can use it. Who does not,
>>> should have a download.
>>
>> Any volunteers? What I want to avoid is that we stop to release
>> artifacts "the Maven way" just because we want to wait that somebody
>> takes care of the alternative all-in-one distribution. Hence no
>> objections from my side of course.
>
> May be I'll have some time on Hackaton. But since I barely can find my
> way around maven myself I can't guarantee I'll be able to finish this...

Just let me know then, how I can help you!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Der fr�he Vogel f�ngt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.de

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>> If you need the single file that contains everything, I recommend to
>>> you that you look at the assembly plugin.
>>
>> I don't need no assembly plugin, I can manage to do a trunk build.
>> What about users? Forcing maven down everybody's throat is not a sound
>> business plan. Who wants to use it, can use it. Who does not, should
>> have a download.
>
> Any volunteers? What I want to avoid is that we stop to release
> artifacts "the Maven way" just because we want to wait that somebody
> takes care of the alternative all-in-one distribution. Hence no
> objections from my side of course.

What I wanted to say:
Hence no objections from my side of course if it's not blocking any releases to
public Maven repos.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>>
>>> As long as Cocoon samples webapp is not complete
>>
>> What's missing?
>
> The complete and working webapp :) Have you seen it? Only couple of
> blocks are "in". The rest is never tried / tested.

We shouldn't make it a requirement, that all samples of all blocks run. If you
want to release cforms, working cforms samples should be enough.

>>> , nothing can be labeled as "released". You can say that M1 was only
>>> first step in the proof of concept for maven migration. Next step is
>>> to have complete and functional samples webapp, and yet next is to
>>> have Cocoon 2.2 downloadable deliverables,
>>
>> What do those deliverables contain?
>
> Source distribution, containing complete source code. *Ideally* it would
> contain all required libraries as well, but probably that's not possible
> with Maven.
>
> Binary distribution, containing built Cocoon source code, with all
> blocks, samples webapp, jetty bundle, and 'cocoon.sh' script. Complete
> JavaDoc also can be part of it (or it could be part of documentation
> download).
>
> Documentation, containing contents of Cocoon 2.2 documentation web site
> (and probably JavaDoc too).

We should move away from seeing Cocoon as one huge application. That's the main
reason why we only make small steps.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> yes, it's only documentation! Remember, we have already released M1 but
> haven't announced it yet because without docs it doesn't make much sense.

As long as Cocoon samples webapp is not complete, nothing can be labeled as
"released". You can say that M1 was only first step in the proof of concept for
maven migration. Next step is to have complete and functional samples webapp,
and yet next is to have Cocoon 2.2 downloadable deliverables, and with the last
step being updated website.

One step is done. There are three more steps to go for the first 2.2 release.

Vadim

Re: Roadmap for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

hepabolu wrote:
 > Maybe a few of us (Reinhard a.o.) should sit down at the hackathon and decide
 > on the new documentation setup and present that to the rest for voting. At
the > very least we could write up a list of docs to provide.

At the Hackathon I will demonstrate the new Maven Daisy plugin and will show how
the new "Cocoon documentation" site within Daisy is supposed to work.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc