Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Santosh Sam Koshy <sa...@cdac.in> on 2008/01/26 10:00:04 UTC

Unable to get Subversion working

Hi all,

I have been trying very hard to get Subversion up and going, but end up
with

svn list http://localhost/Subversion/UbicompReop
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:827: (apr_err=175002)
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/Subversion/UbicompReop'
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=175002)
svn: PROPFIND of '/Subversion/UbicompReop': could not connect to server
(http://localhost)

I am unable to get out of this error. From the browser, an XML parser
error is displayed.

I have installed
Apache version 2.2.8 and linked it with
apr  version 1.2.11
apr-util version 1.2.10
Subversion version 1.4.6 (Also linked to the same aprs)

I have done an ldd on httpd, svn and found that they both are linked to
the same libraries

The INSTALL document of Subversion mentions a similar error and suggests
an ldconfig to be updated. The make install of subversion sets the
libraries to /usr/local/lib, which I have added to the ldconfig path

YEt, there seems to be some problem in accessing the repository. I have
been trying all sorts of solutions like creating newer repos, but it has
not been useful.

Kindly suggest possible corrections.

Regds
SAM

--
Santosh Sam Koshy
Member Technical Staff

Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to
decide........

RE: Unable to get Subversion working

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
Simpler way I tried with Apache 2.2.8 and Svn-1.4.6 on Windows was not a
problem at all. It simply worked though I did not try to implement any kind
of authenticaion / authrization mechanism,

Here are my steps :

	1. Install Apache HTTP server with default options.
	2. Install SVN 1.4.6.
	3. Go to <installation location of SVN 1.4.6>\bin and copy
mod_authz_svn.so and mod_dav_svn.so to <Installation location
	   of http server>\Apache2.2\modules.
	4. Open httpd.conf (exists under <installation location of http
server>/apache2/conf) in text editor and add these modules (copied in step
3) at the end of
	    loadmodule section, like below :

		LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
		LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
		LoadModule authz_svn_module modules/mod_authz_svn.so

	5. Ensure that SVN installation is on path.
	6. Create blank repository using the folloiwng command  :

		svnadmin create <driveletter>/Repository

	7. Open again httpd.conf again and add the following at the end of
the file :

		<Location /svn>
		    DAV svn
		    SVNPath E:\Repository
		</Location>

	8. Restart Apache2 service.
	9. If everything goes well, fire IE and type http://localhost/svn
        10. You should be able to see repository with revision 0.

Hope it helps!
Regards,
Ravi.