Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by sa...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/09/14 16:15:00 UTC

Code contribution (was "code for XSDWildcardTraverser")

Hi Rahul,

I noticed that you've contributed some new code
(XSDNotation/Wildcard/AttributeGroupTraverser). I really appreciate it. But
1. The design decisions on those parts aren't yet final, so no one knows
what the code will look like when we make those decisions. It's possible
that it's quite different from what you expected.
2. Your classes look more like a skeleton to me: get attributes, get
sub-elements, call other traversal method, return an index. But other more
important parts are missing: combine two attribute groups, compute wildcard
union/intersection, ...
3. We are also working on similar parts. I was designing the representation
of attribute group decl and wildcard decl, so, inevitably, I've already
spent a lot time thinking about the implementation of corresponding
traverser classes. The reason I didn't put down the code skeleton is
because the final code depends on some other design decision. So to me, it
seems to be some duplicated effort.

We are so happy to see that you guys are actively involved in the new
schema design/implementation. Just I guess we need to do a better
coordinating job. As Elena and Neil pointed out, there are lots of redesign
work need to be done in the validator, and we need a new design of the
datatype validators. These are relatively independent pieces, so we won't
step on each other's toes.

Cheers,
Sandy Gao
Software Developer, IBM Canada