Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/08/07 23:49:38 UTC

Re: [STATUS]

    Ralf,

    I suspect that a lot of the people on this list aren't familiar with
    the way we run the developer list, and that the whole business of
    subject lines and voting is rather mystical.  I'm not at all sure
    that the same conventions - voting, at least - are really
    appropriate here.  Let's not go too fast, eh?

    If there *are* any here that fall into that category, may I suggest
    a peek at <http://dev.apache.org/>, which includes some background
    that may or may not be useful.

    That said..

    I don't much care what the base format of the documentation is as
    long as

     o it can be maintained with a text editor on a dumb terminal
     o the (or a) back-end produces HTML with which I'm happy

    I'd rather not install another ten tons of cruft.. er,
    single-purpose tools on my system.  I'd be particularly happy with
    something Perl-based (which I think your recommended tools already
    are, Ralf).  Perl rocks.

    The current pile of documentation - our basic foundation here - is
    the pages at <http://www.apache.org/>, including those under
    /library/ and /docs/.  What you see there are files with SSI
    instructions in them, so comparable boilerplatibility would be nice.
    If you want to get your hands on the source HTML files, see the
    above-named URL and read the part about working with CVS snapshots.
    The manual pages themselves are in CVS module apache/htdocs, and the
    Apache site files are in CVS module apache-site.

    One nice thing about the current arrangement is that the HTML files
    at the above location are *very* easy to maintain - they're just
    checked out from a CVS library.  Any replacement system can only be
    more complicated, but it *must* allow easy regeneration of the site
    documents in HTML.

    Also, I'm already working on the FAQ and making it
    news.answers-ready, so that's another data-point.  However,
    conversion to that format, if not automatic, should be a simple
    matter of Perl.  I'd appreciate it if anyone wanting to do a
    wholesale reorg of the FAQ would coordinate with me first.  (I'm
    including you, Ralf! ;-)

    #ken    :-)}

Re: [STATUS]

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     I suspect that a lot of the people on this list aren't familiar with
>     the way we run the developer list, and that the whole business of
>     subject lines and voting is rather mystical.  I'm not at all sure
>     that the same conventions - voting, at least - are really
>     appropriate here.  Let's not go too fast, eh?

I gave a bunch of people a brief introduction to how apache coding works.
I can also give them a hand getting the tools going... but yeah you'll
have to start a bit slowly.  I'm hoping that the people I invited will
give us some hints as to how they normally manage documents and such,
because I'm sure the coding approach to docs is not the best.

Dean