Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2007/04/19 16:35:24 UTC

Qpid Release Process - Adopt HTTPD Process Or ....

All,

I'd like to propose that we take a little time to define our Qpid Release
process now, for use/expansion during the M2 release.

The Incubator docs provide HTTPD, Struts and Commons as good examples of
release process definitions.

I've had a read through of them, and I think the HTTPD definition is the
best starting point for us. I'm not suggesting we follow it slavishly, but
that we adopt the same style and amend the content as necessary.

Please have a look at:

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html - for the HTTPD release process
definition

... and the Incubator release info:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-prepare-documentation

Note that the incubator release guide is very patchy, in that lots of the
sections are heavily TODO'd.

Thoughts ? I felt we should discuss and then probably vote on a release
definition ...

Bfn,
Marnie

Re: Qpid Release Process - Adopt HTTPD Process Or ....

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi All,

Playing slight catch up, apologies.

So, a few comments on the various posts on this thread ....

1. Completely agree with Alan & Rob's comment on the goal of M2 being 0-8
interop, as far as we can manage it ! I think we should correctly have
modest goals for M2 and not seek to make it perfrect, but a useful milestone
release which gets hitherto unreleased components out there and provides a
good build for users, far more feature rich than M1 !

2. Re Rajith's point about M1 being fairly close to the HTTPD process - yes,
and wasn't my intent to make any major changes just to get our approach
doc'd in the interests of transparency for everyone and to move our project
forward in incubation terms ! If no-one objects, I'll create a starter
release process page with something pretty close to the HTTPD docs tomorrow
and people can discuss/edit as we go along ?

3. Tomas - hoping you saw the vote thread which has a summary of the
components we voted to release for M2 ? Personally (my fault) I doubt we
really want to put Ruby out there (for maturity reasons) but the votes were
in favour so had to go with that. (We can perhaps revisit if we find it
problematic as we go along building M2).

4. Java JIRAs for M2 - I have reviewed all the Java JIRAs marked as for M2
and thus far only left in scope those that need doing (have discussed with
the reporters/assignees as I went along where not clear). Happy for people
to review and amend if anyone disagrees with my assessments though :-)

Phew. All that and chicken pox in our house this week :-(

Anyhow, more tomorrow !

Regards,
Marnie

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Marnie,

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 10:44 -0500, Tomas Restrepo wrote:
> If I may offer a humble suggestion here: Could we please first agree on what
> to release and what may constitute a good reason to plan a release? My point
> here is that it would be really nice if the entire project was working
> alongside the same plan. Right now we have the C++ code going in one
> direction, the Java code going into a somewhat different direction, the .NET
> code playing catchup, and I don't even know what the python and ruby code
> bases are.

I think that's one of the key goals of the M2 release. M2 represents the
last time all the projects *were* in a consistent interoperable state,
so it's a valuable thing to get out there.

> For example, it would seem sensible, while the protocol spec is in flux, to
> align one way or another the project releases with the protocol releases.
> That is to say, if we define protocol version Y as being of interest to the
> project, either target it all, or don't target it at all. Otherwise, getting
> the interop in place just among our different code bases will be too
> painful, not to even speak of interoping with other protocol
> implementations.
>
> Any comments?

We're in a bit of a discombobulated state right now as you point out. I
would say that M3 (or whatever the next major release is called) should
aim to get us back in sync with all projects on the same major protocol
version. I used to think this would be 0-9, but it looks like we may
have to wait for 0-10. Its not clear now how far away that is, if it
doesn't happen soon we may need to find another way to reconnect the
projects. I'm in two minds about making C++ bilingual 0-8, 0-9 - I'll
wait till after the AMQP FTF and see how far away 0-10 looks before I
reconsider the question.

Cheers,
alan.

RE: Qpid Release Process - Adopt HTTPD Process Or ....

Posted by Tomas Restrepo <to...@devdeo.com>.
Marnie,

> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html - for the HTTPD release
> process
> definition

Sounds like a reasonable process to me.

> ... and the Incubator release info:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-
> practice-prepare-documentation

Yikes! Please don't :)

[...]

Tomas Restrepo
http://www.winterdom.com/weblog/

Re: Qpid Release Process - Adopt HTTPD Process Or ....

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 15:35 +0100, Marnie McCormack wrote:
> All,
>
> I'd like to propose that we take a little time to define our Qpid Release
> process now, for use/expansion during the M2 release.

> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html - for the HTTPD release process
> definition

I like this process. If I were foolish enough to volunteer as a release
manager I'd adopt it wholesale (except for the part about testing qpid
as Apache's web server!) and tweak as we go.

> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-prepare-documentation

This is a classic Apache process, I love it :)  I quote:
 Rules:
 TODO: incubator rules

I'd avoid (again, if I were foolish enough...) any temptation to write
long process docs, and stick to keeping notes of what actually happens
in this release so the next person can benefit.

I'm not foolish enough to volunteer as RM, but evidently I am foolish
enough to enter the email discussion. Doh!

Cheers,
Alan.