Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gowtham Varma Buddharaju <go...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/22 11:21:55 UTC

Choosing Tomcat version for upgrade

Hi All,

We are currently using Tomcat 8 and want to upgrade as it has reached EOL.
Our project uses servlet spec 3.1. I understand upgrading to 8.5 from 8
will be very easy, but till when will 8.5 be supported? If we upgrade to 9
should we upgrade servlet spec in our application pom.xml from 3.1 to 4.0?
Also till when is Tomcat 9 supported?

Regards,
Gowthamvarma

Re: Choosing Tomcat version for upgrade

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/09/2022 12:21, Gowtham Varma Buddharaju wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are currently using Tomcat 8 and want to upgrade as it has reached EOL.
> Our project uses servlet spec 3.1. I understand upgrading to 8.5 from 8
> will be very easy, but till when will 8.5 be supported? If we upgrade to 9
> should we upgrade servlet spec in our application pom.xml from 3.1 to 4.0?
> Also till when is Tomcat 9 supported?

The official position is:
- No end of life decisions have yet been made for Tomcat 8.5.x onwards.
- Any such decisions will provide at least 12 months notice.

Based on past experience, I'd *guess* that:
- Tomcat 8.5.x will no EOL no earlier than 31 March 2024
- Tomcat 9.0.x will be EOL no earlier than 31 March 2027

There is no need up update the specification version in your web
application to run on a newer version of Tomcat

Mark