Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Abhijat Thakur <ab...@bdnacorp.com> on 2001/09/05 21:58:21 UTC

Multiple Tomcat Instances

Hi,

I need to run multiple instances of Tomcat on Apache. As mentioned in
documentation i have the two server.xml  files specifying two different
ports. Tomcat starts fine with the two server.xml files.

I might be wrong when it comes to changes in Apache configuration that need
to be done when multiple instances of tomcat need to be run.In Apache
changes need to be made to mod_jk.conf.auto (since this is included in
apaches httpd.conf) so that we can tell mod_jk module which instance will
handle which request. Now mod_jk.conf.auto is an auto generated file
everytime tomcat starts up so if i make any changes they will be overridden.
How can this be handled? Just to see if multiple instances of tomcat work i
addded the contexts in the mod_jk.conf.auto. It still did not work. Are
there any steps that are missing.

Thanks

Abhijat Thakur

bDNA Corporation

Re: Multiple Tomcat Instances

Posted by Denis Haskin <De...@HaskinFerguson.net>.
Abhijat Thakur wrote:

> I need to run multiple instances of Tomcat on Apache. As mentioned in
> documentation i have the two server.xml  files specifying two different
> ports. Tomcat starts fine with the two server.xml files.
>
> I might be wrong when it comes to changes in Apache configuration that need
> to be done when multiple instances of tomcat need to be run.In Apache
> changes need to be made to mod_jk.conf.auto (since this is included in
> apaches httpd.conf)

Don't use the auto-generated config file; use static ones instead.  Then Tomcat
won't overwrite your changes.  I frequently start with the auto-gen'd file, copy
it to mod_jk.conf, and then I can tweak it as necessary.

In your case, you might have mod_jk.conf.tomcat1 and mod_jk.conf.tomcat2, and
include both of those in httpd.conf (instead of mod_jk.conf.auto).

dwh

Multiple Tomcat Instances