Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2007/01/21 22:00:05 UTC

JSR 291 - public review

I'm looking at the materials for the public draft of JSR-291 as I
need to vote on it tomorrow.

I'm actually considering voting "no", even though we're on the expert
group, simply because there is no spec there.  It's just a document
that says "See OSGi R4".  Really - 1 page.  Go download it :

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291

Opinions?  i've cc-ed niclas because he's listed as being on the EG,
and Richard as I believe he actually represents us.

geir

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 6:14 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> The JSR says that the "specification will define a dynamic component
>>> framework including component lifecycle for existing Java SE
>>> platforms" and further the JSR states that
>>>
>>> "This specification will be a subset of JSR 232 including the
>>> modularity and lifecycle aspects of the OSGi R4 framework but
>>> excluding the service aspects of the framework, declarative service
>>> support, and the services defined by JSR 232.
>>> The specification lead will track revisions in the JSR 232 and OSGi
>>> specifications as they apply to this JSR, and will publish updates
>>> to this JSR as those specifications are updated."
>>>
>>> In your opinion, has the JSR done that?
>>
>> Not a simple answer. First, I believe it is a subset of JSR 232,
>> because that includes stuff related to the mobile phone world that is
>> not in 291. Second, it did try to leave out services and there was
>> discussion on the EG mailing list about what/how to leave things out,
>> but in the end it proved too difficult to leave the service layer
>> completely out, since the module and life cycle layers were partially
>> exposed in services, such as the PackageAdmin service. Most services
>> are not part of 291, for example the OSGi compendium services are not
>> included.
>
> where is that noted?

Hmm. I think it would be by virtue of the fact that they are not
referenced from the EDR, only the core R4.1 spec PDF is included in the
EDR zip...I really don't know, perhaps you should be emailing Glyn
Normington, since he is the spec lead.

>>> Another question - given that there's no content to the spec offered
>>> by the EG, what's the point?  OSGi exists, and is a solid spec.
>>> What's the point of a JSR that says "look over there" without saying
>>> anything itself?
>>
>> Again, I think one of the goals here was to try to bring the
>> communities together so that OSGi would not necessarily exist
>> completely independent of the JCP in the future. This had already
>> been done for Java ME via 232, so this is would just make it official
>> for Java SE.
>

> I have to ask - how is OSGi not independent of the JCP now w/ 291?
> I'm not trying to be antagonistic - I'm just trying to figure out how
> anything is different.  Yes, changes went into 4.1, but you're an OSGi
> guy to start with...
>
> let me ask this a different way - why could changes happen if the
> forum was the JCP mailing list rather than the OSGi mailing list?

Well, I think the issue was that JCP members were given the opportunity
to have some voice in how R4 should be turned into R4.1, rather than
only allowing OSGi members to have a voice. To be clear, though, the
OSGi Alliance did not have plans for R4.1 before JSR 291, R4.1 came
about as a direct response to the discussion of the 291 EG mailing list.

>> I agree that OSGi is a solid spec, but without trying to bridge the
>> gap between the JCP and the OSGi Alliance, then it is as if OSGi
>> technology doesn't even exist as far as the JCP is concerned, and
>> that benefits no one in my opinion.
>

> And it exists now because there's a pointer to it?

It exists because the JCP is the standard way to introduce new
technology into Java.

-> richard

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Actually, I represent myself, because I am not an Apache member.
>
> We don't require membership to represent the ASF in an EG, just
> someone with a clue.

I stand corrected, but still, I am a member of the EG due to my OSGi
involvement.

>> The goal of JSR 291 was to try to unite the JCP and OSGi communities
>> and to bring a dynamic component environment (via OSGi) to existing
>> Java platforms. The approach for doing this was to take the OSGi R4
>> spec as a starting point and to let the expert group give input into
>> any other missing pieces. It has done this.
>

> And where is evidence of that?  As far as I can tell, the spec is a
> glorified URL for OSGi R4.1.

Well, there is the mailing list archive, which I think is public, since
the mailing list was public. There would be no OSGi R4.1 if it weren't
for JSR 291.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 22/01/2007, at 12:40 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> I can only speak from my experience, but if the ability to have
>> significant impact on the final result of a JSR is our yardstick,
>> then I think we will be voting "no" on most of them...at least from
>> my experience as a JCP EG member.
>
> I see your point here, but I disagree.
>
> I think we'd like to see all JSRs be more open and collaborative -
> nothing to argue there. I think it's great that there was some effort
> towards making this particular JSR more open.

I agree with you that I would like all JSRs to be more open, but that is
not an argument for singling out one as an example. Has any JSR ever
even let the public listen to the EG discussion?

> However, in the case of this JSR, these concerns were specifically
> raised in the ASF's yes vote and the no vote of other EC members to
> negate the impression that this was just "rubberstamping". My
> reasoning was that, from looking at the mail archives, what was done
> here was something that could have been achieved without the JSR. And
> that's fine - the OSGi spec can stand on it's own two feet.
>
> Either way, if yourself and the other EG members here feel that having
> a JSR was particularly beneficial and it couldn't have happened
> otherwise, then I'm not going to object. I just didn't get that
> impression from the mailing lists.

I am not saying that it couldn't have happened otherwise, I am saying it
wouldn't have happened otherwise. Most likely, OSGi would not have
released an updated R4.1 spec, it would have just waited for R5 some
time into the future. Of course, I don't claim to know the overall
release strategy of the OSGi Alliance.

> One other question I had that hasn't been discussed is the RI and TCK
> - we earlier encouraged these to be implemented through existing open
> source projects such as Felix or Equinox. Was there any movement
> towards this?

There has been moving in making the TCK open to open source communities.
I have sent Geir the license that Apache has to execute to get its
members access to the OSGi TCK, I am just waiting for advice on what to
do with it.

-> richard

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:16 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>>   2) The Specification, RI, and TCK licenses are provided to the EC
>>>      prior to the vote;
>>
>> We're not at that stage.  This is just the public draft, but I
>> expect that will happen at the end of the process.
>>

>>>   3) The Specification and TCK licenses allow an open source
>>>      implementation;
>>>
>>>   4) The above licenses are provided at no cost to nonprofit
>>>      organizations like the ASF; and
>>
>> Both of these are required by the JCP, but I don't see how this is
>> going to work out yet.  The license of the included OSGi spec is
>> for feedback and distribution only.  I assume that you aren't
>> being licensed to implement the spec, even for internal
>> evaluation.  That's unusual for even a JCP spec.  Granted, this is
>> consistent with the license you agree to to review this spec which
>> doesn't mention implementation either.
>
> Actually, I think this is because of Sun legal's boilerplate license
> for the public review.  The PMO required Day to do the same for JSR
> 170
> during the JCR review period, and then replaced the review license
> with
> the real license for the final review.  In other words, I think this
> is a non-issue for now.
>
> I think we should vote Yes with a comment to the effect that all of
> this must be cleared up in the final submission.  There should be a
> statement by the Spec Lead that indicates they have been licensed
> all of the intellectual property necessary from the OSGi Alliance
> members and that said IP is included in the Specification License.
>
> If that statement is given, then it is worthwhile having the JSR
> even if it merely rubberstamps OSGi work.  Think of it as a shared
> legal agreement, rather than a new technology.

This is where I was going before my wife called me down for
dinner :)  I'll finish the email now and send for review here.

geir

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 22, 2007, at 3:27 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> Well, I hope you are aware of that a JSR is not required to provide
>> the RI and TCK "for free". The RI and TCK is available for licensing.
>
> Apache should vote "No" unless *all* of the following are true:
>
>   1) The specification is completely provided by the JSR publications
>      (i.e., we don't need to jump through some other license hoops
>      in order to read it);

The OSGi spec is included in the package, but under a different license.

>   2) The Specification, RI, and TCK licenses are provided to the EC
>      prior to the vote;

We're not at that stage.  This is just the public draft, but I expect
that will happen at the end of the process.

>   3) The Specification and TCK licenses allow an open source
>      implementation;
>
>   4) The above licenses are provided at no cost to nonprofit
>      organizations like the ASF; and

Both of these are required by the JCP, but I don't see how this is
going to work out yet.  The license of the included OSGi spec is for
feedback and distribution only.  I assume that you aren't being
licensed to implement the spec, even for internal evaluation.  That's
unusual for even a JCP spec.  Granted, this is consistent with the
license you agree to to review this spec which doesn't mention
implementation either.

Glyn?

>   5) The technology defines something useful for Java.

Yes, that's clear here.  OSGi is good stuff.

>> Nothing different from other JSRs.
>
> Every JSR Spec Lead has the choice of a wide range of options to make
> it easier (or harder) for independent implementations, and that choice
> has widened over time.  They are all different.
>
> I don't think it matters if OSGi gets a rubber stamp.  What matters is
> that the result is specified accurately, readably, and in a form that
> we can implement.

There's a disconnect in IP flows - and I'm sure Glyn can comment.
The JSPA requires that patents reading on specific contributions to
the spec that are owned by the contributor are licensed to users and
distributors of compatible implementations in a RAND and royalty-free
basis.  How will JSR291 bridge the gap, given that the contributors
to the OSGi spec aren't bound by the JSPA?

geir

Re: Any Final Thoughts? (Was Re: JSR 291 - public review)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 22, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> So how do we vote? (answer below)
>>
>> Roy's criterion :
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2007, at 3:27 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>> Apache should vote "No" unless *all* of the following are true:
>>>
>>>   1) The specification is completely provided by the JSR
>>> publications
>>>      (i.e., we don't need to jump through some other license hoops
>>>      in order to read it);
>>
>> This appears to be met at this point.
>>

>>>   2) The Specification, RI, and TCK licenses are provided to the EC
>>>      prior to the vote;
>>
>> I don't believe that licenses are applicable at this point.
>
> I don't agree, but we can clarify our position in the comments that
> accompany the vote.

The JSPA says that EGs are encouraged, not required.

>>>   3) The Specification and TCK licenses allow an open source
>>>      implementation;
>>
>> The TCK isn't germane at this point, but the spec license is, and
>> sane, as is the OSGi TCK license.
>
> I agree. The OSGi license under which IBM says they intend to
> license 291 is ok.
>>

>>>   4) The above licenses are provided at no cost to nonprofit
>>>      organizations like the ASF; and
>>
>> That's required by the JSPA.
>>

>>>   5) The technology defines something useful for Java.
>>
>> This is a judgement call, and we tend not to vote EC votes based
>> on that (or J2EE  and the calendar API would have been toast long
>> ago ;).
>
> On the other hand, there is evidence of the value of this technology.

Agreed.  But again, I want to be careful on how we consider this aspect.

>>> I don't think it matters if OSGi gets a rubber stamp.  What
>>> matters is
>>> that the result is specified accurately, readably, and in a form
>>> that
>>> we can implement.
>>
>> So my tally of people's eventual positions :
>>
>> +1 : Roy, Richard, Brett (hope I got that right), Niclas, David
>>
>> Not sure : Bruce
>>
>> License concerns : Craig
>>
>> I believe that Craig's concerns about licensing should be
>> mentioned in the voting statement.
>
> In short, my concern is that the intent to license the
> specification according to the terms of the OSGi license should be
> explicit in the release materials.
>
> And the intent to release the RI as the Equinox open source project
> is certainly relevant for this phase of the project.

Yep

> [...]
>> OSGi implementation project (http://incubator.apache.org/felix/),
>> and therefore has an interest in how the community standardizes
>> this technology in the Java ecosystem.
>>
>> That said, we do have concerns.  We recognize that the objections
>> of other EC members about "rubberstamping" should not be
>> dismissed.  However, we believe that this is a judgment that can
>> only be made later, and we welcome the opportunity to bridge two
>> technical communities and try to remove the obvious tension
>> between JSR-277 and OSGi.
>>
>> We emphasize our interest in seeing collaborative  community
>> engagement in the expert group, and expect that as with any other
>> JSR, the proposed timeline will shift to accommodate the needs of
>> EG as it does it's work.
>>
>> Finally, we congratulate the spec lead on opening the expert group
>> mail list to read-only access to any interested party, and expect
>> that there will be no requirements for such access other than an
>> expression of interest.  Further, in the interest of widespread
>> adoption, we again urge the spec lead to create the RI and TCK as
>> open source software, either through a new effort, or via one of
>> the existing open source communities currently engaged in OSGi
>> implementation."
>>
>> So the issues :
>>
>> 1) bridge the 277 and OSGi communities - there's some claim this
>> happened, but I'm not too convinced
>>
>> 2) "rubberstamp" - it's been argued by Richard and others that the
>> EG influenced the spec to create a v4.1, so it's not a total
>> rubberstamp.  I'm not sure why this input couldn't have been done
>> in OSGi, but whatever.  Also, there doesn't seem to be a good
>> argument why a rubberstamp is bad in itself.
>>
>> 3) Clearly the timeline shifted. IIRC, the original timeline was
>> really silly, calling for final approval by July 2006.  It's good
>> to see that schedule isn't being adhered to.
>>
>> 4) The mail list was open, although there seem to be complains on
>> where some of the work was done.
>>
>> So all in all, not too bad, based on our original input.
>>
>> So unless someone can find a really compelling reason not to,
>> we'll vote yes with a statement listing our concerns and
>> requirements for the final ballot.
>
>> I'd like to list :
>>
>> 1) Require a clear statement that the necessary IP from all OSGi
>> members is licensed on a RAND and royalty-free basis to any
>> compatible independent implementation.  This seems to be the
>> biggest problem.
>>
>> 2) Ask that they help set a precedent through the submission of a
>> TCK license that will be offered to any implementor.  The spec
>> lead is of course able to offer any other license they choose as
>> an alternative.  This is something we need to move to do for all
>> specs going forward.  The lack of "ex-ante" disclosure on this is
>> a serious problem in the JCP.
>
> As is the lack of ex-ante disclosure of specification licensing
> terms. To my great surprise, spec license terms vary significantly

I thought the spec license has specific requirements - but this isn't
a spec yet.

The sanest license I've seen so far is from BEA for a TCK we licensed
from them.  Simple, clean, to the point.  A real model for everyone
else.

>> 3) Encourage them to choose an open source implementation as the RI
>>
>> 4) Encourage them to deliver the TCK as open source software.
>>
>> any more comments, additions, thoughts, or protest?  Speak fast -
>> I need to do this tonight.
>
> Looks good.

Thanks

geir

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
> [...]

> compatible independent implementation.  This seems to be the
> biggest problem.
>
> 2) Ask that they help set a precedent through the submission of a
> TCK license that will be offered to any implementor.  The spec lead
> is of course able to offer any other license they choose as an
> alternative.  This is something we need to move to do for all specs
> going forward.  The lack of "ex-ante" disclosure on this is a
> serious problem in the JCP.

As is the lack of ex-ante disclosure of specification licensing
terms. To my great surprise, spec license terms vary significantly
for non-Sun-led JSRs.

> 3) Encourage them to choose an open source implementation as the RI
>
> 4) Encourage them to deliver the TCK as open source software.
>
> any more comments, additions, thoughts, or protest?  Speak fast - I

Looks good.

Craig

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 23/01/2007, at 12:36 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> +1 : Roy, Richard, Brett (hope I got that right), Niclas, David

Yep, for what it's worth, I'm in favour. Thanks all for answering my
queries.

Your comments for the ballot sound fine.

- Brett

Any Final Thoughts? (Was Re: JSR 291 - public review)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
But the OSGi Alliance isn't party to this.  It's up to the spec lead
to satisfy the requirements of the JCP

geir

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
I second Roy's statement completely and also agree with Niclas that
this may be good timing to lean on the OSGi Alliance to open up a
little more and cover the requirements of the ASF as stated by Roy.

Maybe this would be worth a comment in the Public Review Ballot?
(or a even condition for Final Approval Ballot?)

regards,
david

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Glyn Normington <gl...@uk.ibm.com>.
Just catching up....

"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote on 21/01/2007 21:00:05:

> I'm looking at the materials for the public draft of JSR-291 as I
> need to vote on it tomorrow.
>
> I'm actually considering voting "no", even though we're on the expert
> group, simply because there is no spec there.  It's just a document
> that says "See OSGi R4".  Really - 1 page.  Go download it :
>
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291

I think Geir only saw the covering letter! The PR spec. package zip file
contains *three* documents:

1. covering letter,
2. license for the spec. package,
3. 286 page draft specification.

"Roy T. Fielding" <ro...@gmail.com> wrote on 22/01/2007 08:27:31:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Well, I hope you are aware of that a JSR is not required to provide
> > the RI and TCK "for free". The RI and TCK is available for licensing.
>
> Apache should vote "No" unless *all* of the following are true:
>
>    1) The specification is completely provided by the JSR publications
>       (i.e., we don't need to jump through some other license hoops
>       in order to read it);

The JSR 291 PR spec. package contains the draft specification and the
necessary spec. license information.

>    2) The Specification, RI, and TCK licenses are provided to the EC
>       prior to the vote;

For Public Review, JCP 2.6 requires only the specification to be provided
to the EC prior to the Public Draft Specification Approval Ballot.

Draft terms for the RI and TCK were included in the JSR submission. Final
RI and TCK terms do not need to be provided until the Final Approval
Ballot.

>    3) The Specification and TCK licenses allow an open source
>       implementation;

Of course this is allowed and I expect at least the current three OSGi open
source projects (Eclipse Equinox, Apache Felix, Knopflerfish) to implement
the specification.

>    4) The above licenses are provided at no cost to nonprofit
>       organizations like the ASF; and

This is the case by virtue of JSR 291 being covered by JCP 2.6. The JCP's
spec. lead guide says:

"JSRs under JCP 2.6 or later must also license the RI and TCK separately
and provide no cost access of TCKs to qualified individuals, educational
and not for profit organizations."

>    5) The technology defines something useful for Java.

I don't think anyone seriously doubts this, do they.

Glyn

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 22, 2007, at 3:11 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On 1/22/07, David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, I think "rubber stamping" in JCP is not that simple, since
>> there will be a need for
>> the Reference Implementation that passes the TCK later on in the
>> process and at least
>> the latter will certainly not be something that the JSR-291 EG can
>> just refer to with a link.
>
> Well, I hope you are aware of that a JSR is not required to provide
> the RI and TCK "for free". The RI and TCK is available for licensing.
> Nothing different from other JSRs.

TCKs are required to be free for qualified non-profits (like us),
individuals and academics.

> Hopefully, we can increase the pressure on the OSGi Alliance to make
> those available "for free" in due time. As my company has just become
> full members of the Alliance, I will try to push for such change from
> within.

IBM will have to guarantee this if it is a JCP spec.

geir

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On 1/22/07, David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyhow, I think "rubber stamping" in JCP is not that simple, since
> there will be a need for
> the Reference Implementation that passes the TCK later on in the
> process and at least
> the latter will certainly not be something that the JSR-291 EG can
> just refer to with a link.

Well, I hope you are aware of that a JSR is not required to provide
the RI and TCK "for free". The RI and TCK is available for licensing.
Nothing different from other JSRs.

Hopefully, we can increase the pressure on the OSGi Alliance to make
those available "for free" in due time. As my company has just become
full members of the Alliance, I will try to push for such change from
within.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

personally I have no issue with the fact that someone is "not" trying
to re-invent the wheel
in a JSR and is referring to an existing and working specification
that is actually implemented.
In this particular sense JSR-291 makes sense to me (especially over JSR-277).

Anyhow, I think "rubber stamping" in JCP is not that simple, since
there will be a need for
the Reference Implementation that passes the TCK later on in the
process and at least
the latter will certainly not be something that the JSR-291 EG can
just refer to with a link.

So generally, I am not opposed to "wrap" an existing standard into the formal
requirements (RI, TCK)  of a JSR and in the special case of the
"Module-Business ;)"
I am actually in favor of it.

regards,
david

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On 1/22/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I think we'd like to see all JSRs be more open and collaborative -
>> nothing to argue there. I think it's great that there was some effort
>> towards making this particular JSR more open.
>
> Ok. So ASF will vote NO on all future JSRs that are not totally
> transparent?
> I am fine with that, but please be consistent and not budge on
> principles, if that is what this is.

+1

>> raised in the ASF's yes vote and the no vote of other EC members to
>> negate the impression that this was just "rubberstamping". My
>> reasoning was that, from looking at the mail archives, what was done
>> here was something that could have been achieved without the JSR. And
>> that's fine - the OSGi spec can stand on it's own two feet.
> However, in the case of this JSR, these concerns were specifically
>
> Agree.
> But, this is not uncommon. The Spec Lead is responsible for the whole
> production process, and the Expert Group is an advisor board. The EG
> chats and the Spec Lead assimilate that and throws something over the
> fence for further discussions.
>
> The difference is that what is "thrown over the fence" is *very
> mature* and most EG members are probably quite content with what they
> see. Now, it seems, that have a mature starting point (something that
> works) is a handicap.
>
>> One other question I had that hasn't been discussed is the RI and TCK
>> - we earlier encouraged these to be implemented through existing open
>> source projects such as Felix or Equinox. Was there any movement
>> towards this?
>
> No, there wasn't. The Spec Lead has "promised" on behalf of the OSGi
> Alliance that TCK will be made available to Open Source organizations.
> ASF has access to the TCK via Richard Hall privately, and IIUIC that
> is how Felix achieves its compliance.
>

> Reasons for this JSR, IMHO, is not so much whether it is
> rubberstamping OSGi Alliance work or not, but downstream work that can
> happen straight in JCP, having a dependency on JSR-291. This allows
> non-OSGi Alliance members to actively work on extensions, and is a
> reducation in the significance of being an Alliance member.
>
> Everyone is talking about convergence towards the JCP, now when it
> happens it is a bad thing. People talk about more openess, 291 was
> more open than many, but that is a bad thing and *not enough*.
>
> FYI, RedHat voted NO to start the JSR. They have in its final stages
> requested (and granted) to enter the EG. There are probably many
> speculations around their decision to do so, but *I* think that JBoss
> has finally *discovered* OSGi and also want to have a dependency on a
> JCP accepted standard.

+1 to all of it...

I should just shut up and let Niclas speak for me... ;-)

-> richard

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 22/01/2007, at 12:40 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> I understand your point, but no EG members started any discussion...

Fair point :)

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Frankly, I'm torn on this.
>
> The group did seem to attempt to address the concerns of the EC
> members by extending the timeline (though I'm not sure when or why
> this happened), and making an attempt to bridge the JCP and OSGi
> communities rather than just rubberstamping the existing spec, as
> Richard said. However, while I get the feeling that this was certainly
> intended, I don't think it was very successful.
>
> I'm concerned by a couple of things on the mailing list:
> - I couldn't find it anywhere public (can someone point that out to
> me?). I was only able to find out where it lived by logging in as a
> JCP member.

Anyone could ask the spec lead to be on the mailing list, I think the
JSR says this, but I am not sure. The public could not comment however,
just listen.

> - there was limited discussion on the actual changes made - the
> biggest discussion was really around the overlap of JSR 277 and JSR 291
> - it seemed a lot of the actual work happened on the OSGi bugzilla and
> lists that were closed to the JSR 291 EG members

You are on 277 too, aren't you? The work there certainly doesn't happen
on the mailing list either.

The discussion of how to address EG concerns was discussed internally in
the OSGi Alliance, but the results of those discussions were summarized
to the EG.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Frankly, I'm torn on this.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On 1/22/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I'm in favor of it either, even though I'm on the EG. My
>> intention was never to just rubber stamp the OSGi spec,
>
> Then your job is to speak up... ;o)
>
>> as I think
>> that the OSGi has no place in the JSE.
>
> What? I can only interpret this mean 2 things. Either;
>
> 1. You think OSGi should not be deployed on Java SE.
>
> 2. You think OSGi should not be shipped with the JDK.

I think JAX-WS should not have been shipped with the JDK along with
sun's toy http server. Compared to that, OSGi is noise. It does at least
make sense architecturally.

> I assume you mean the second one, as the first one is hilariously silly...
>
> Well, IMHO, the JDK is over bloated since long, and the main focus
> around release 1,2/1.3 should have been something like what we now see
> in the JSR-277, allowing for simple extensions of the runtime
> platform.

> Now, that said; Please take a look at the 300 or so JSRs so far, and
> see how many is or will be shipping in either the JDK or is part of
> the non-optional Java EE specification set.

Java EE is full of junk; backwards compat stuff that doesnt make sense,
architectural errors, etc. It needs to go more componentized too.

Its interesting to watch Sun's reaction to this one. I understand Hani's
-ve vote, but I think Sun just don't like OSGi as it represents a loss
of control to them. The JCP is meant to be docile input from the
community, like those warsaw pact meetings where the delegate from
hungary would thank the CCCP representative for providing support to
help deal with revisionist counter-revolutionary forces.  Now we have
another major player -IBM- striking out on their own.

Regarding the TCK, I think projects should embrace public SCM
repositories and make the entire test suite visible as live code, not
something secret. There is only one normative "standard" that Gump
builds on a nightly basis, and its an OASIS/Grid Forum one, not a JCP
thing. Shame.

-steve

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On 1/21/07, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> On 1/22/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not sure I'm in favor of it either, even though I'm on the EG. My
>> > intention was never to just rubber stamp the OSGi spec,
>>
>> Then your job is to speak up... ;o)
>>
>> > as I think
>> > that the OSGi has no place in the JSE.
>>
>> What? I can only interpret this mean 2 things. Either;
>>
>>  1. You think OSGi should not be deployed on Java SE.
>>
>>  2. You think OSGi should not be shipped with the JDK.
>>
>> I assume you mean the second one, as the first one is hilariously
>> silly...
>
> Yes, number two is what I meant.

The goal of JSR 291 does NOT include being shipped with JDK, it targets
existing Java SE platforms and potentially alignment with whatever comes
out of 277, but from my understanding it will not ship with the JDK...no
matter how desparately Java needs its capabilities. :-)

-> richard

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 1/21/07, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On 1/22/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I'm in favor of it either, even though I'm on the EG. My
> > intention was never to just rubber stamp the OSGi spec,
>
> Then your job is to speak up... ;o)
>
> > as I think
> > that the OSGi has no place in the JSE.
>
> What? I can only interpret this mean 2 things. Either;
>
>  1. You think OSGi should not be deployed on Java SE.
>
>  2. You think OSGi should not be shipped with the JDK.
>
> I assume you mean the second one, as the first one is hilariously silly...

Yes, number two is what I meant.

> Well, IMHO, the JDK is over bloated since long, and the main focus
> around release 1,2/1.3 should have been something like what we now see
> in the JSR-277, allowing for simple extensions of the runtime
> platform.

Agreed.

Re: JSR 291 - public review

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On 1/22/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 9:57 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
> > On 1/22/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure I'm in favor of it either, even though I'm on the EG. My
> >> intention was never to just rubber stamp the OSGi spec,
> >
> > Then your job is to speak up... ;o)
> >
> >> as I think
> >> that the OSGi has no place in the JSE.
> >
> > What? I can only interpret this mean 2 things. Either;
> >
> > 1. You think OSGi should not be deployed on Java SE.
> >
> > 2. You think OSGi should not be shipped with the JDK.
> >
> > I assume you mean the second one, as the first one is hilariously
> > silly...
> >
> > Well, IMHO, the JDK is over bloated since long, and the main focus
> > around release 1,2/1.3 should have been something like what we now see
> > in the JSR-277, allowing for simple extensions of the runtime
> > platform.
> >
> > Now, that said; Please take a look at the 300 or so JSRs so far, and
> > see how many is or will be shipping in either the JDK or is part of
> > the non-optional Java EE specification set.
> >

> This is off topic.  Not necessarily wrong, but off topic.
>
> can you give us your opinion on how the ASF should vote on this?

If that question is directed to me, let me remind you that I am not an
ASF member, and Alex is the ASF rep in this. I hope the question was
more directed to jcp-open@ in general... ;o)

Personally, I would be very delighted if ASF is supporting this JSR,
which seems more controversial at the political arena than the
technical one (which few disputes). After some brushes with politics
in OSS, I have decided to stay away if possible. I trust you guys to
make a balanced decision.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: JSR 291 - public review