Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2013/03/11 22:52:07 UTC

Jini.net domain

The jini.net domain name registration has come up for renewal again.

I'm wondering if anyone wants to take over as custodian?

Does anyone have any time or ideas to do something useful with jini.net?

Peter.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
We've currently got an org.apache.river.api namespace for new stuff.

I think a rename would need an additional motivator.

At some point, I suspect around Java 8's release, classdep may begin
having issues finding dependencies.

I modified classdep (with help from Tim Blackman) to add support for
generics in order to support Java 5, however classdep has a clunky
antique feel about it now, I think Rio has a good deployment strategy we
could all learn from.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 06:13, Dan Creswell wrote:
> "But I do think we ought to keep the domain reg."
>
> Shouldn't we talk the grand "River rename"? I mean we've said before
> now that we'd treat net.jini as an old compatibility namespace and
> define some new ones over time....

Hmmm...  My impression has always been that we were going to keep the
"net.jini" namespace and just move away from "com.sun" (which we should
probably get on with).  I'm not sure why I have that impression.
Nostalgia, perhaps, but I still feel like if everything is in
"org.apache.river", then it seems like a "project" (e.g. Struts) as
opposed to a "technology" (e.g. JSF).

I suppose part of it is that the Jini name at least has some name
recognition and a place in history ("Jini was doing SOA before anybody
called it SOA"), whereas to promote River seems like starting from
scratch ("so how do you compare to Hadoop, Camel, JBI, JSON, CORBA, RMI,
and a hundred other technologies).

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
The issue raised to transfer this domain to the Apache foundation is
unresolved, I gave up after there was an issue with the transfer and I
got no further responses.

I accept your proposal ;)

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@gmail.com>.
If we can put up a page somewhere which just has a redirect to the apache site, that might be useful too.

Gregg

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
Greg,

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I agree with Gregs's reasoning here. Using a domain name one controls
for package naming is an important Java convention.

Patricia

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by "De Groot, Cees" <cd...@marktplaats.nl>.
More than happy to contribute some North American pesos. I agree that as
long as the packages are net.jini, at the very least the domain should be
under control.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
Time to stop holding onto our past....dump it.

Re: Jini.net domain

Posted by Luis Matta <le...@uol.com.br>.
I think it is time to die :)
Farewell jini.net

(I was pretty involved with the wiki, and I believe it is over)