Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Olaf Kock <ok...@abstrakt.de> on 2008/01/12 21:46:52 UTC

Access to mailing list... (was Re: POLL: JDK 1.5)

Hi,

just having accidentally posted using the wrong account - one that has
not been pested by spam yet - I'd like to ask for opinion (or action) on
limiting posts on this list to accounts that also receive mail posted here.

I suppose, that my other account finally will be spammed too after
appearing in any archives here, but others might benefit from such a
limitation.

I know that it's a weak protection against spam senders who might use
sender addresses as they please, but it would protect people like me
from their own stupidity...

If somebody also has access to any archive I'd appreciate deleting my
last mail regarding the JDK 1.5 poll, but I believe it's too late for
that...

Cheers + thanks,
Olaf

Re: Access to mailing list...

Posted by Olaf Kock <ok...@abstrakt.de>.
Janne Jalkanen schrieb:
>> Actually, most email Apache email lists are moderated
[...]
> Yes, they are, but as a moderator I personally don't remember all the
> correct email addresses of all the people who have subscribed to the
> mailing lists.  I doubt anyone does.

I wish I had offered some pills or other money related things in that
mail, obviously it would have saved that account from becoming public. I
hope to remember that the next time I post from the wrong account :*)

Thanks for the answers - I won't take any more action but wait for my
deserved punishment. I believe I wouldn't get removed from all archives
anyway.

Cheers,
Olaf

Re: Access to mailing list... (was Re: POLL: JDK 1.5)

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
And for the record, the purpose of moderation is to keep spam from
showing up on the lists. It's not to restrict messages from specific
users. As a moderator, if I see a message that appears to be relevant
to the group, I'll allow it regardless of what email address it comes
from. I might look closer at a message that comes from a suspicious
address (like only allow that one message) but I'm certainly not
filtering messages to keep email addresses private.

Craig

On Jan 14, 2008, at 12:22 AM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:

>> Actually, most email Apache email lists are moderated, and emails
>> from
>> non-subscribed users do not go through to the list unless the
>> moderator
>> approves it. There is just too much spam around to allow non-
>> subscribed
>> posts. I'm surprised to hear that jspwiki lists do not have
>> moderation
>> configured.
>
> Yes, they are, but as a moderator I personally don't remember all
> the correct email addresses of all the people who have subscribed
> to the mailing lists.  I doubt anyone does.
>
> /Janne

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Access to mailing list... (was Re: POLL: JDK 1.5)

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@ops.co.at>.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Olaf,

try contacting infrastructure@apache.org for these kinds of removal
requests.  They should be able to help you out!

However, I don't think that it's according to Apache customs to close
mailing lists in such a way.  People regularly Cc relevant developer
mailing lists, from what I've seen.

[I think this mailing list is monitored also by Nabble and some other
services, so you might be out of luck...]

/Janne