Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2015/07/17 10:58:21 UTC

[LOGGING] Logging levels in CloudStack code

Hi,

After debugging multiple issues in CloudStack the past week I got
annoyed again by the fact that almost all logs are hidden behind
loglevel DEBUG and that our code doesn't make proper use of INFO, WARN
and ERROR.

I opened: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8645

Now, fixing this is rather trivial in code expertise. Changed various
DEBUG rules to INFO, WARN or ERROR and the first steps are taken.

Sometimes more logging needs to be added, but that's OK.

I encourage everybody to make proper use of the logging instead of
putting everybody to use DEBUG.

Also, be aware that sometimes people might be trying to debug something
happening on a production cloud at 03:00 in the night (Like me) and
those people want proper loglines.

When writing logs, make sure they actually tell WHAT the code does. It's
not only you who has to understand the log, also the operator running
the code in production.

Thanks!

Wido

Re: [LOGGING] Logging levels in CloudStack code

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
retweet ;) For those doing regular reviews of code this is also an
item. thanks Wido for a sound cry in the desert.

--
Daan