Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ying Liao <yl...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/13 23:04:39 UTC

Neural Network and Restricted Boltzman Machine in Mahout

Hi,

I am interested using Neural Network type of tools to do classification in
Mahout. I wonder if these methods are finished in Mahout 0.8. On Mahout
website, it still says open.

Thanks,
Ying

Re: Neural Network and Restricted Boltzman Machine in Mahout

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
There is a semi-done RBM patch in JIRA that was started by a GSOC student a few years back.  He made some progress and then abandoned.  You might look there.  I think there is always interest in good, well tested patches, but we are mostly focused on cleaning things up right now trying to get out 0.8.

-Grant

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: Fwd: Neural Network and Restricted Boltzman Machine in Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
You mis-use map-reduce is how you do it.

Start a bunch of cores and nominate some of them to be parameter stores and
many to be workers.  Pretend you are running either a map-only task or lots
of reducers on an identity mapper.

Posted by Hector Yee <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Filimon <da...@gmail.com>.
Ray,

I'm now working with Ted on streaming k-means clustering for my senior
project. I come from a software engineering background.

Once I'm done, I'd be happy to help (coding?) and see what would be needed
and learn more about the whole deep learning thing (my experience with
neural networks is just from an intro ML class).

In any case, if you need any Java help, feel free to ask. I'll in turn want
to know more about the math. ;)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Cool!

We need the help.

Posted by Ray <rt...@gmail.com>.
Ted,
It's very interesting that you put it this way, "a replication of this
architecture".  It's really compelling to pursue this.  I'm working
through one of the deep learning papers from the quoted link now to get
an idea of what it would take to make it happen. For me right now
though, it seems like a little much.

I mean, as a mathematician I find the mathematics being used in Mahout
refreshing.  Some absolutely beautiful applications.  Real life math on
the hoof.  On the other hand, as a relative newcomer to Java, I'm still
coming up to speed.

I'll focus for now on contributing to documentation, possibly some
patches.  See how the contribution process works, gain a little
confidence there first.  (I do have a background in neural networks.)

Ray.

On 03/14/2013 11:44 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Yeah.... we have had little pull on these techniques beyond the simplest
> case of logistic regression.
>
> Would you guys be willing to sign up for maintaining the code that might
> result?
>
> The thing that might move the needle would be a replication of this
> architecture:
>
> http://deeplearning.net/2012/12/13/googles-large-scale-deep-learning-experiments/
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Danny Busch <da...@kurbel.net> wrote:
>
>> I asked years ago whether someone would be interested in starting
>>   implementations of neural network algorithms in mahout, but apparently t
>> here
>> was no big interest / priority and feedback that time.  Maybe this has
>> changed,
>> as Neural Networks yet again become more popular.
>>
>> ~ danny
>>

>> Ying Liao <yl...@gmail.com> hat am 14. März 2013 um 16:24 geschrieben:
>>> Can anyone in dev/commits shed some lights on this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ying

>>> Ying

Re: Fwd: Neural Network and Restricted Boltzman Machine in Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Johnson <jo...@gmail.com>.
If you're really insistent on a hidden layer, Paul Mineiro has been
blogging about a NN implementation on top of VW that sounds interesting:
http://www.machinedlearnings.com/2013/02/one-louder.html

todd.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ying Liao <yl...@gmail.com>.