Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gustavo Guerra <gm...@acm.org> on 2004/09/08 13:47:08 UTC

Re: Re: Re: Link support on Windows

I would happy just with junctions for starters, as they are much more
common, and most software works with them ok thinking they are directories,
never had a problem and I use junctions a lot (the first program that
complaing working on a junction instead of a regular directory was
tortoisesvn)

Currently subversion supports symlinks in unix, ignoring them when checking
out on windows.
This could be changed to "if on windows, if there's a symlink in the
repository pointing to a directory, and the volume is NTFS, then make the
junction" and "if on unix, if ther's a junction in the repository, create a
symlink"

Regards
Gustavo Guerra

"Monks, Peter" <pe...@vignette.com> wrote in message
G'day Gustavo,

The problem with junctions is that they only support directories.
However, after a bit more hunting I discovered that NTFS also
provides a thing called a "hard link", which (as the name suggests)
is a hard link to a file (and only a file - you can't "hard link"
directories).

Here's a page that described the situation in more detail:

    http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284

I totally agree that adding support in the SVN client for junctions /
hard links on Windows (as an "emulation" of symlinks) would be really
valuable, but I suspect it would introduce a number of problems too:

1. junctions and hard links only work on NTFS 5+ filesystems (so only
   on Windows 2000+, and only on disks which are using the NTFS
   filesystem, which excludes most removable disks for example)

2. as noted in the article, most Windows software (including the
   Windows Explorer) doesn't support junctions or hard links very well
   at all.  I've personally run into trouble with junctions in the
   past and can confirm that the default Windows Explorer behaviour is
   quite confusing, not to mention dangerous.

3. (development issue) does APR provide access to the necessary APIs
   on Win32 platforms?

I can't help wishing that Windoze^D^Dws supported symlinks properly...

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Monks                             http://www.sydneyclimbing.com/
pmonks@sydneyclimbing.com      http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/4455/