Posted to small-events-discuss@apache.org by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/01 07:05:42 UTC

Report - Apache MeetUp Kandy

Apache MeetUp Kandy event held in Kandy, Sri Lanka on 28th of April made
great success, there were around 60 /70 people participated majority of
them are students of University of Peradeniya also there were quite a few
industrial people as well.  This event organized by a group of students who
participated to last Apache BarCamp event held in Colombo, this was a
community driven event and "Association of Computer Engendering Students"
provided financial support while Faculty of engineering provided venue and
equipments and Readme.lk provided media sponsorship for the event.

Event start with "The Apache way" talk by Srinath Perera ( ASF Member) , he
covered history, organizational structure and roles of ASF, voting
process.  Generally he covered usual content of a Apache way talk and
manged to deliver a clear idea about what is Apache software foundation and
how it functional etc.  Srinath was followed by another ASF member Nandika
Jayawardana who talked about "Open-source and your carrier" It was not
limited to focus on ASF, he motivated audience with number of facts to show
how open source contributions help to build a successful carrier and
personal branding. In later part of his talk, he specifically discussed
about Apache contribution in open source context.

As the 3rd session of the event I delivered "Find your way to Apache
contribution" session this showed number of practical approaches to
audience to start their Apache contribution also answered  general
questions that can be raised in a potential new contributor's mind. This
was the last session before the lunch break and number of people asked
questions and people tend to to speak.

The evening dedicated for practical sessions. First, Anuradha Ratnaweera
from Taprobane Linux org. conducted a practical demonstration about
installing and configuring Apache web server on different Linux
distributions. Further he covered architectural aspects of Apache2 server
and showed some steps to resolve most common configuration issues. As
usually he attracted whole audience for the session.

Next session was about "Apache build tools - Apache Ant and Apache Maven"
which conducted by Suhothayan Sriskandarajah ( ASF commiter) and Prabath
Abeysekera to provide hand-on practicals on both tools. they covered basic
concepts about tools and demonstrated using number of sampls. As the final
event of the day Kathiravelu Pradeeban conducted a small session about
"Community Matters" basically this session is to make people speak.

This event was a well organized small scale event and many thanks should go
to organizers from University of Peradeniya and volunteer speakers.

You can find some pictures of this event from here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78442276@N04/sets/72157629921545711/ and event
coverage from here http://lanyrd.com/2012/apache-meetup-kandy/ .

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: Report - Apache MeetUp Kandy

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
I'd say that not only are you "allowed" to make the proposal below but you
are strongly encouraged (at least by me) to bring your experience and help
others wanting to do small events. You clearly understand what we are
trying to do here, so please help wherever out feel able.

Ross

On May 2, 2012 6:06 PM, "Sagara Gunathunga" <sa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Ross for your comments. I was under impression that only me think
something wrong with ConCom process. I sent one mail to suggesting name for
our future events, after one week I sent another mail for event proposal
but non of them get any response from ConCom. In fact, we experienced same
thought during the Apache BarCamp Colombo planning stage too where only
Nick responded on small-events-discuss list other than that no response or
approval came out from ConCom.

> If I allowed to make a suggestion, I suggest to have some improvements on
event approval process so that we don't wait too much time on event
branding, approval etc.  I believe ConCom processes should encourage people
to come up with volunteer events.

Re: [Apache Event LK] Re: Report - Apache MeetUp Kandy

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
I didn't know that Fedora provided financial support for the event and glad
to hear about Fedora support. Thanks Tharindu for reminder.

Thnaks !

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Tharindu Dassanayake <dtharindu88@gmail.com

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.