Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Van Nguyen <vn...@ur.com> on 2006/12/21 00:39:58 UTC

JAVA JVM Question

I have an index that's approximately 875MB.  I'm using JBoss Application
Server 4.04 w/ Apache HTTP Server 2.2.  My min/max JVM size is:
128MB/512MB.  On initial startup, everything works fine.  I'm able to
search (although it takes a while doing the first search because it's
everything's fine and dandy.  But if I stop the application and
redeploy, I get an OutOfMemoryError when I search (when the index gets
loaded into memory again).  I've tried this on both Java 5 and Java 6.

When I stop the application, I made sure (or at least to the best of my
knowledge) that I close all searcher/reader/writer.  I'm pretty sure
that there are no locks on the index.  I've tried increasing the maximum
JVM size to 1GB.  Now I can redeploy the application twice before it
gives me the OutOfMemoryError.  It seems like the JVM isn't garbage
collecting the index.

So is this a JVM issue where the index is still in memory and it isn't
being garbage collected?  Or am I not closing my searcher/reader/writer
correctly?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Van