Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nayana ABREU <ho...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/27 18:45:56 UTC

Installation Maven - Variable in the Systems Variables

In relation to the installation of Maven on Windows, when I add the
Variable in the Systems Variables.... I saw some examples in which users
type M2_HOME for the variable name, is it a problem if I typed
*MAVEN_HOME*for variable name? In summary, I want to know if the name
for variable name
is an arbitrary thing or if it has an exactly defined name.

Nayana Holanda de Abreu
holanda.nayana@gmail.com
Phone: 662-801-6349
Skype: nayanexbourdon

Re: Installation Maven - Variable in the Systems Variables

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/06/2013 12:45 PM, Nayana ABREU wrote:
> In relation to the installation of Maven on Windows, when I add the
> Variable in the Systems Variables.... I saw some examples in which users
> type M2_HOME for the variable name, is it a problem if I typed
> *MAVEN_HOME*for variable name? In summary, I want to know if the name
> for variable name
> is an arbitrary thing or if it has an exactly defined name.
>
> Thanks,

Just use M2_HOME.
It is what everyone uses and it will save a lot of questions when you
want some help.

It is a variable name. I would not put an "*" in a system variable name
since some program or parser might not handle it correctly.

Why go looking for trouble?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Installation Maven - Variable in the Systems Variables

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
AFAIR it is the class worlds config that actually pulls out the environment
variable to set up the classpath, so the only thing that would happen is
you would be using a different class worlds from the one in the home... In
any case M2_HOME trumps MAVEN_HOME so if the scripts were not updated then
it is all moot anyways

On Friday, 28 June 2013, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Stephen Connolly wrote:
>
> > MAVEN_HOME is for Maven.
> >
> > If M2_HOME is set, then that will be used by Maven 2+ and MAVEN_HOME will
> > be ignored.
>
> Well, then download M305 and have a look into the start scripts. MAVEN_HOME
> is nowhere found, while M2_HOME is anywhere used.
>
> > When Maven 3 was being initially released we were going to drop M2_HOME
> > completely, but decided to keep support for it.
> >
> > Going forward, I would just pick MAVEN_HOME and ensure M2_HOME is unset
> as
> > we do not have M3_HOME nor will we have M4_HOME so we will be reclaiming
> > MAVEN_HOME as the recommendation
>
> Nevertheless, you still don't have to set it. It's done automatically in
> the
> start script.
>
> - Jörg

Sent from my phone

Re: Installation Maven - Variable in the Systems Variables

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
The minimal requirements (at least for Windows) are:
apache-maven-x\bin must be on the "Path"
JAVA_HOME must be set

it is not required to add M2_HOME, mvn.bat will do that for you.
JAVA_HOME is not required on the Path, Maven will always use the JAVA_HOME
value.

Robert

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
MAVEN_HOME is for Maven.

If M2_HOME is set, then that will be used by Maven 2+ and MAVEN_HOME will
be ignored.

When Maven 3 was being initially released we were going to drop M2_HOME
completely, but decided to keep support for it.

Going forward, I would just pick MAVEN_HOME and ensure M2_HOME is unset as
we do not have M3_HOME nor will we have M4_HOME so we will be reclaiming
MAVEN_HOME as the recommendation

On Friday, 28 June 2013, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Nayana ABREU wrote:
>
> > In relation to the installation of Maven on Windows, when I add the
> > Variable in the Systems Variables.... I saw some examples in which users
> > type M2_HOME for the variable name, is it a problem if I typed
> > *MAVEN_HOME*for variable name? In summary, I want to know if the name
> > for variable name
> > is an arbitrary thing or if it has an exactly defined name.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> MAVEN_HOME was for Maven 1.
>
> Actually I don't set M2_HOME at all, because it is setup internally in the
> Maven start scripts. That way I can easily switch between different Maven
> 2/3 versions just by calling the appropriate start script.
>
> - Jörg

Sent from my phone

Re: Installation Maven - Variable in the Systems Variables

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.

Posted by Russell Gold <ru...@gold-family.us>.
iirc MAVEN_HOME was the convention for Maven 1; I don't believe it should matter. I used a standard installer (MacPorts) and I have no such variable.
OTOH, if you are going to be working with somebody else, it would probably be best to stick with the conventional names.

and listen to the Misfile radio play <http://www.gold-family.us/audio/misfile.html>!

Re: Installation Maven - Variable in the Systems Variables

Posted by Jade <ev...@gmail.com>.
The variable name must be M2_HOME