Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Daniel Henrique Alves Lima <em...@yahoo.com.br> on 2004/03/07 21:33:11 UTC

[Suggestion] struts-user-newbie list

It sounds good to me !

Re: [Suggestion] struts-user-newbie list

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Daniel Henrique Alves Lima <em...@yahoo.com.br>:

> It sounds good to me !
>
> Andrew Petro wrote:
>
> >Incidentally, have there been any thoughts on this list of differentiating
> >out a struts-user-newbie list from the main struts-user list?
> >
> >I think it's wonderful to have a welcoming place for newbies to post
> >questions, but I think it might also be useful to be able to differentiate
> >opportunities to help out newbies / be helped as a newbie from
> >opportunities to ask more difficult questions / discuss more advanced
> >features of the framework.
> >
> >My two cents.

My experience with other communities that have tried this sort of thing is that
it tends not to work out very well.  The key problem is that the users just
after the newbie stage don't know which list to ask those "sort of beginner"
questions on.  So, I would vote against this suggestion.

More importantly, though, having a single list is better for a few compelling
reasons as well:

* As we've seen over and over again, even long time users
  who are intermediate to expert in some aspects of Struts
  can learn something from a newbie question from someone
  else about a different aspect.

* Even if you are a newbie today, you won't be tomorrow.
  Having all the answers to all the questions means that
  you only have to search a single message archive later.

If you find the message volume on STRUTS-USER overwhelming, here are some hints
to reduce the burden:

* Use a mail reader that you can configure to automatically
  filter messages into folders.  I've got my mail reader set
  up to do this for the 20 or so lists I subscribe to -- each
  goes in to a separate folder, and I deal with all the new
  messages for a particular folder at once.

* Use a mail reader that lets you sort messages by threads.
  That way, you can just skip the conversations you are not
  interested in.

* For some folks who just want to browse, subscribing in "digest"
  mode (one message per day, containing all the new traffic)
  works best.

* If you are not sitting behind a firewall that prevents it,
  many mailing lists are also visible through newsgroup gateways.
  One such example is gmane.org, which mirrors quite a few
  Apache and Jakarta mailing lists (among others).

Craig McClanahan

Re: internationalizing html:option tag, force to lookup resource file

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
The <html:option> tag already has this facility - you can specify a "key"
attribute.

If however you want yo use the <html:optionsCollection> tag, there was an
identical discussion on this list recently. You can find the start of that
thread here..

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg93939.html

Niall

Posted by "Daniel H. F. e Silva" <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Andrew,

  Good point.
  Freedom of choice is very appreciated and is one the axioms of open-source community ;-)
  By the way, I'd like to invite all newbies and even Struts gurus to join us at #struts_users IRC
channel at irc.darkmyst.org. There you can get help and meet some of the coolest guys in Struts
world (myself included ;-)). You can, at least, have fun there!

Cheers,
 Daniel Silva.

Posted by Andrew Petro <An...@yale.edu>.

Posted by "Daniel H. F. e Silva" <dh...@yahoo.com>.