Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by onion mantis <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/14 14:04:34 UTC

Visual studio project cannot be merged - by a newbie

Hello,

This is a newbie question. it involves a test scenario using a repository
for an MS Visual Studio 2003 solution/project, without any subversion
integration in Visual studio - just getting started with svn, still learning
to use it. Here's the scenario with my problem:

0. I have a repository for a Visual Studio 2003 project.

1. I checked out a working copy to directory temp, let's call this working
copy, WC1.

2. I check out another working copy to another directory, let's call this
one WC2.

3. I made changes to a C# file in WC2 and commited them, and I updated WC1
and the committed changes were
merged. no problem.

3. In WC1 I added a new class, a Test class , and added a reference to
NUnit's dll NUnit.Framework. Note this changed the project's binary files.
The project now has a new reference to an external dll, changing the
project's csprojuser and pdf files.

4. In the WC2 directory, I tried to run svn update but, the merge failed
giving the error:
svn: Checksum mismatch for 'repository_name\projectname\obj\Debug\.svn
\text-base\projectname.pdb.svn-base'; expected:
'861d6ac25466fd764772c1a38a7eb612', actual:
'0c58ae913fb49352fcfd21f70e860cef'

Now :
A. What can I do about this? How do I merge both of them now?
B. How do I avoid this problem, and what SVN tools are there to handle this
sort of problem?

Help is urgently needed, as the purpose of this test is to set up a svn
environment for my team. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Data.

Re: Visual studio project cannot be merged - by a newbie

Posted by Masaru Tsuchiyama <ts...@asahi-net.email.ne.jp>.
Hi

"onion mantis" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. In the WC2 directory, I tried to run svn update but, the merge failed
> giving the error:
> svn: Checksum mismatch for 'repository_name\projectname\obj\Debug\.svn
> \text-base\projectname.pdb.svn-base'; expected:
> '861d6ac25466fd764772c1a38a7eb612', actual:
> '0c58ae913fb49352fcfd21f70e860cef'
Did you add 'Debug' directory and pdb file to the subversion repository?
These are temporary. They usually must not be version-controled.

Masaru Tsuchiyama

Re: Visual studio project cannot be merged - by a newbie

Posted by Konrad Rosenbaum <ko...@silmor.de>.
On Sunday 14 May 2006 16:04, onion mantis wrote:
> 4. In the WC2 directory, I tried to run svn update but, the merge failed
> giving the error:
> svn: Checksum mismatch for 'repository_name\projectname\obj\Debug\.svn
> \text-base\projectname.pdb.svn-base'; expected:
> '861d6ac25466fd764772c1a38a7eb612', actual:
> '0c58ae913fb49352fcfd21f70e860cef'

This sounds like something else has gone horribly wrong. I don't think it was
the svn update itself. This sounds rather like corruption on the file system
or some program has written into your .svn directory (which it should
absolutely not do).

Try to run svn cleanup and then svn update again.

Does a clean svn checkout on the same repository/path still work?

	Konrad