Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Randy Nicoll <no...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/05 10:47:04 UTC

[users@httpd] "MyServiceName" will not not start in my Apache Software Monitor...Why?

Running on my Domain Server which is Server 2003: (NEED HELP PLEASE)

*My Apache Software Monitor 2 out 3 of my services have started. *
Apache 2.2...........is ON as I have a Green Light
MyServiceName... is OFF I have a RED Light ??? (Is This Normal)
Symantec Protection Ceneter Webserver...is ON as I have a Green Light

I have tried everything including the following....

when I tried to Type HTTPD.EXE at the C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\bin>httpd.exe

THIS IS THE DATA THAT FOLLOWED: (*is this normal if not why? How can i fix*)
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network
address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address
127.0.0.1:8080
Unable to open logs

Also in Services my Apache2.2....Apache/2.2.15 SERVICE is on and running.

Lastly, when I typed http://localhost:8080/ in my browser it returned: It
Works!

so I know I am doing ok.However, Please I am just wanting to make sure I did
everything properly. My question is since I am successfully running Apache
2.2 and my Symantec Protection Ceneter Webserver am I done is everything
properly configured?

As you can tell I am not an Apache Software expert but I do want to make
sure I am properly configured.

*SO WHY WON'T "MyNameService" START...PLEASE WHAT AM I DOING WRONG or IS
THIS OK and am I Over reacting?*

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Randy
a.k.a. Aspiring Apache Expert...
nomchelpdesk@gmail.com

[users@httpd] Re: Caching is serving up the wrong user content to some users who log in.

Posted by Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com>.
On 22/06/2010 2:13 a.m., Presto, Patrick wrote:
> One of our larger portal applications
> has had reports of users logging in and getting other users content

Your application is not sending Cache-Control: Private as it MUST in
order to avoid caches at any level of the chain from caching your
user-specific content. It's not just your caching server, there are ISPs
that will cache your pages that have no caching directives too, exposing
sessions to other users who use the same ISP. We saw it on our website
until we added the correct directives to block caching.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

[users@httpd] Caching is serving up the wrong user content to some users who log in.

Posted by "Presto, Patrick" <Pa...@qwest.com>.
We have just started enabling caching on our Apache 2.2.3 Web Server to take advantage of the performance increase.  We use Apache as a proxy to our back end Java applications.  One of our larger portal applications has had reports of users logging in and getting other users content.  We don't have this problem when we disable the cache so we are somehow caching user specific content sometimes.  We don't see this with most users in production, and we are unable to replicate this behavior in test or production at this time.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this intermittent caching behavior?

I looked at the Change log and found something that could be a possibility, but I don't fully understand this bug.
Under 2.2.12 Changes:
 *) mod_disk_cache/mod_mem_cache: Fix handling of CacheIgnoreHeaders
    directive to correctly remove headers before storing them.
    [Lars Eilebrecht]

Could it be possible that CacheIgnoreHeaders is sometimes storing a "Set-Cookie" header for content when it shouldn't be?  If so, would it be possible that the next request for that content comes with the original requestors cached "Set-Cookie" header and resets the current users Cookie or ID. This could then cause the current user to access the original requestors data since the "Set-Cookie" header might have been accidentally stored in the cache.
If this could be the cause does anyone know how I could prove this in test?

Here is our current caching configuration using mod_expires, mod_cache, and mod_disk_cache.  We are disabling some areas of the site that use velocity because we don't want to cache some of the dynamic stuff like sessionVariable property files for example.

Any help is appreciated!  Thank you!

<IfModule mod_cache.c>
    <IfModule mod_disk_cache.c>
        CacheRoot  /opt/apache/cache/
        CacheEnable disk /
        # FORCE caching for all requests (without Cache-Control: no-cache)
        # If Last-Modified header is removed you need to set this to ON to cache
        CacheIgnoreNoLastMod On

        CacheDisable /business/sessionVariableSetup.vm
        CacheDisable /business/education/
        CacheDisable /business/partners/
        CacheDisable /business/consultants/
        CacheDisable /business/home/

        CacheIgnoreHeaders Set-Cookie Set-Cookie2

    </IfModule>

    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
        # Add expires headers for images, css & js files
        ExpiresActive On
        ExpiresByType image/gif A28800
        ExpiresByType image/jpeg A28800
        ExpiresByType image/png A28800
        ExpiresByType text/css A28800
        ExpiresByType text/javascript A28800
        ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A28800
        ExpiresByType application/javascript A28800
        ExpiresByType application/ecmascript A28800
        ExpiresByType image/x-icon A28800
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>
Patrick

________________________________
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication

Re: [users@httpd] "MyServiceName" will not not start in my Apache Software Monitor...Why?

Posted by Randy Nicoll <no...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

first of all thanks. now i know that i am fine and that it is perfectly
normal. So if I understand your reply if I start another instance or web
server than I will have to reconfigure my "MyServiceName" so that another or
multiple Listening devices will be running...(i.e. 127.x.x.x:3127 or any
other port for that webserver....is that correct?

Forgive me but my Unix is a bit rusty and I am using Windows Server so you
see I am bit technologically challenged.

Just trying to understand all of this...

I only got involved with this because I was having BIG PROBLEMS with
(dbsrv9.exe) which is the database that runs Symantec Endpoint Console
Manager. dbsrv9.exe is competing for all my resources with my SQL Server
which oh by the way is on the same Server.

Now you know why I am researching all of this just trying to maintain and
retain all my resources on my server because it gets tiresome to keep
rebooting the server just to get my memory resources back fresh for a new
day.

I remain,

Randy
a.k.a. Aspiring Apache Expert...