Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com> on 2014/02/12 22:16:43 UTC

Effectiveness of Bayes poisoning (was Re: Spam Pattern)

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:11:19 -0800 (PST)
John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:

> That only works if your hammy mail stream contains text that looks
> like the random garbage they put in to try to spoof bayes.

Indeed.  Just for kicks, I ran the OP's pastebin example through our
Bayes database and it scored 99.99% likelihood of spam.  The word
"Wopsle", for example, was a dead giveaway... that never appears in
our ham stream, but has appeared in 93 spams in our database.

Bayes poisoning, in our experience, is only occasionally effective.

Regards,

David.