Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz> on 2003/08/10 13:34:43 UTC

Timeout on Apache Access to Subversion

I am running Subversion 0.26.0 on a Windows XP SP1 machine with Apache
2.0.47 DAV support.  Everything is set with basic defaults except I am doing
a virtual host on Apache for subversion (ie http://svn.xxx.biz).

When I go to checkout a working copy the process starts fine and after about
a minute I get this error

svn: RA layer request failed
svn: REPORT request failed on '/repo/!svn/vcc/default'
Could not read response body: An existing connection was forcibly closed by
the remote host.

The access to the server is via the Internet.  The svn server is in Tulsa,
Oklahoma and my client machine is in Brazil just off the Amazon river.  The
machine in Tulsa has a high speed connection and the one in Brazil has a
64kbps connection (slooow cable modem).  Both machines are Windows XP Pro
boxes (SP1).

When checking out locally on the machine in Tulsa I do not get timeout
issues but the total checkout is less then a minute locally.  (tested with
file:/// and http:// locally).

I have tried the checkout with svn, tortoiseSVN, and RapidSVN.  They all
produce the same results.

Is there something I am missing in configuration or is this a bug in Apache
/ DAV / Subversion?  I am a very new user of subversion so I could have
missed something in configuration.

Andrew Penhorwood

Re: Timeout on Apache Access to Subversion

Posted by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> wrote in message | >
| > If there is a proxy is there anyway to get around this limitation?
|
| Yes.  Use SSL.

Ok.  Thanks.  I will try installing SSL on the Apache server as it current
is not configured for it.  SSL was something I was planning on doing anyway.
Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Andrew

Re: Timeout on Apache Access to Subversion

Posted by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> wrote in message
[snip]

| Yes.  Use SSL.
|
| Sander

Yes that worked great.  I installed OpenSSL on my Apache server and the
checkout process performed as expected.  The only draw back was I had to
figure out how to install SSL (took most of the day).  Then as I was
watching the checkout process it dawned on me that I most likely could have
done the same thing just by using a different port.  Why don't we think of
the easy solutions before we do all the work.

Andrew

Posted by Andrew <ap...@kaleo.biz>.
"Ben Collins-Sussman" <su...@collab.net> wrote in message

[snip]