Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/15 02:57:48 UTC

[DISCUSSION]Drop current m2 branch for now ?

Considering the huge changes in m2/trunk, we've been suffering from the code
merge and verification between m2 branch and trunk.

If we don't have a clear target date for m2 release.   I suggest to drop the
current m2 branch and focus on trunk to avoid the effort to maintain two
code copies.    We could rebranch m2 anytime when needed in the future .

Thoughts ?

--
Shawn

Re: [DISCUSSION]Drop current m2 branch for now ?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 14, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Considering the huge changes in m2/trunk, we've been suffering from the code merge and verification between m2 branch and trunk.
>
> If we don't have a clear target date for m2 release.   I suggest to drop the current m2 branch and focus on trunk to avoid the effort to maintain two code copies.    We could rebranch m2 anytime when needed in the future .
>

> Thoughts ?

Personally, I think a Milestone release would be (would have been) pretty valuable. IIUC, the major holdup was finalizing the last few TCK issues. I haven't been getting very reliable M2 tck results (on our tck mailing list). So, I'm not sure where that stands.

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSSION]Drop current m2 branch for now ?

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
+1,
if we don't have a near term release plan for M2, we should stop maintain it
now. It is really painful to commit codes twice.

--
Lei Wang (Rex)
rwonly AT apache.org