Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alexis Huxley <ah...@gmx.net> on 2002/04/11 07:50:45 UTC

svn import fails for remote repository only

Hi, just a short one this time :-) I got a bit further ... I can now
access local repositories. I used the following to create the single
repository in the first place:

    svnadmin create <repository_path>

and then I can import stuff in to it with:

    svn import file://<repository_path> <sources_path> <repository_subdir>

Then I did the same thing as root for creating a remotely accessible
respository - using a different path obviously :-)

    svnadmin create <repository_path>

Then I have just the following in the apache2 config:

    <Location /svn/repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath <repository_path>
    </Location>

I chown'ed the repository so the server runner has access to it.

Then as a normal user I ran:

     svn import http://localhost/repos/svn <sources_path> <repository_subdir>

But that produces:

    svn_error: #21091 : <RA layer didn't receive requested OPTIONS info>
    The OPTIONS response did not include the requested activity-collection-set.
    (Check the URL again;  this often means that the URL is not WebDAV-enabled.)

In the Apache logs I see:

    127.0.0.1 - - [11/Apr/2002:09:39:53 +0200] "OPTIONS /repos/svn HTTP/1.1" 200 0

Now, I have *no* idea what that means :-) Does anybody else? What
is an activity-collection-set? What 'OPTIONS' info should have been
there? Why isn't Apache giving it to it? Thanks!

Alexis

Re: svn import fails for remote repository only

Posted by Alexis Huxley <ah...@gmx.net>.
> Hmm... no, the Location does specify the URL that is used to access the
> resource, it is not a file system path.  The problem was simply that the
> URL you were giving to the import command did not match the one you
> defined in your Location tag.

Aaagggghhh! (kicks self). Thanks for pointing out the obvious Julian
even more obviously than Sander did. That was what it took :-)))

Posted by Julian Fitzell <ju...@beta4.com>.
Alexis Huxley wrote:
>>>Then I have just the following in the apache2 config:
>>>
>>>    <Location /svn/repos>
>>
>>                ^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>>        DAV svn
>>>        SVNPath <repository_path>
>>>    </Location>
>>>
>>>Then as a normal user I ran:
>>>
>>>     svn import http://localhost/repos/svn <sources_path> <repository_subdir>
>>
>>                                   ^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>See the bits I underlined? ;)
>

> Ok, it's sorted. May I suggest that in the INSTALL document (1)
> the section in 'Configuring Apache for Subversion'
>
> 	<Location /svn/repos>
> 	    DAV svn
>             SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
>         </Location>
>
> is changed to:
>
> 	<Location /absolute/path/to/repository>
> 	    DAV svn
>             SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
>         </Location>
>
> And (2) the same in the example in the 'Running and testing' section.
>
> To those who know, it may be clear that "/svn/repos" means the actual
> repository path, but I made the - not stupid - assumption that
> "/svn/path" was similar to a cgi-script or something, and merely
> served to trigger SVN on the server side, and that it would receive
> the path from the SVNPath field, and was therefore fixed text.
>
> If the 'Location' and the path in the URL must match and specify the
> path of the repository, then what is the 'SVNPath' for? Isn't there
> a bit of duplication of information there? My assumption was that that
> was not ;-)

Hmm... no, the Location does specify the URL that is used to access the
resource, it is not a file system path.  The problem was simply that the
URL you were giving to the import command did not match the one you
defined in your Location tag.

Julian

> > > Then I have just the following in the apache2 config:
> > >
> > >     <Location /svn/repos>
> >                 ^^^^^^^^^^
> > >         DAV svn
> > >         SVNPath <repository_path>
> > >     </Location>
> > >
> > > Then as a normal user I ran:
> > >
> > >      svn import http://localhost/repos/svn <sources_path> <repository_subdir>
> >                                    ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > See the bits I underlined? ;)
>
> Ok, it's sorted. May I suggest that in the INSTALL document (1)
> the section in 'Configuring Apache for Subversion'
>
> 	<Location /svn/repos>
> 	    DAV svn
>             SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
>         </Location>
>
> is changed to:
>
> 	<Location /absolute/path/to/repository>
> 	    DAV svn
>             SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
>         </Location>

No, because that would be incorrect.  Location can be any path
you like.

> And (2) the same in the example in the 'Running and testing' section.

The only requirement is that you operate on the url you have configured.
IOW:

$ svn <operation> http://<hostname>/<what_i_typed_at_location>

What you did was configure the repos on http://localhost/svn/repos and
then you were trying to access it through http://localhost/repos/svn.

> To those who know, it may be clear that "/svn/repos" means the actual
> repository path, but I made the - not stupid - assumption that
> "/svn/path" was similar to a cgi-script or something, and merely
> served to trigger SVN on the server side, and that it would receive
> the path from the SVNPath field, and was therefore fixed text.
>
> If the 'Location' and the path in the URL must match and specify the
> path of the repository, then what is the 'SVNPath' for? Isn't there
> a bit of duplication of information there? My assumption was that that
> was not ;-)

Nope.  Read up on the Location directive in the apache docs ;)

> Thanks for the help! Now to start playing ... :-)

No prob.

> Alexis

Sander

Re: svn import fails for remote repository only

Posted by Alexis Huxley <ah...@gmx.net>.
> > Then I have just the following in the apache2 config:
> >
> >     <Location /svn/repos>
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^
> >         DAV svn
> >         SVNPath <repository_path>
> >     </Location>
> >
> > Then as a normal user I ran:
> >
> >      svn import http://localhost/repos/svn <sources_path> <repository_subdir>
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^
>
> See the bits I underlined? ;)

Ok, it's sorted. May I suggest that in the INSTALL document (1)
the section in 'Configuring Apache for Subversion'

	<Location /svn/repos>
	    DAV svn
            SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
        </Location>

is changed to:

	<Location /absolute/path/to/repository>
	    DAV svn
            SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
        </Location>

And (2) the same in the example in the 'Running and testing' section.

To those who know, it may be clear that "/svn/repos" means the actual
repository path, but I made the - not stupid - assumption that
"/svn/path" was similar to a cgi-script or something, and merely
served to trigger SVN on the server side, and that it would receive
the path from the SVNPath field, and was therefore fixed text.

If the 'Location' and the path in the URL must match and specify the
path of the repository, then what is the 'SVNPath' for? Isn't there
a bit of duplication of information there? My assumption was that that
was not ;-)

Thanks for the help! Now to start playing ... :-)

Alexis

> Hi, just a short one this time :-) I got a bit further ... I can now
> access local repositories. I used the following to create the single
> repository in the first place:
>
>     svnadmin create <repository_path>
>
> and then I can import stuff in to it with:
>
>     svn import file://<repository_path> <sources_path> <repository_subdir>
>
> Then I did the same thing as root for creating a remotely accessible
> respository - using a different path obviously :-)
>
>     svnadmin create <repository_path>
>
> Then I have just the following in the apache2 config:
>
>     <Location /svn/repos>
                ^^^^^^^^^^
>         DAV svn
>         SVNPath <repository_path>
>     </Location>
>
> I chown'ed the repository so the server runner has access to it.
>
> Then as a normal user I ran:
>
>      svn import http://localhost/repos/svn <sources_path> <repository_subdir>
                                   ^^^^^^^^^

> But that produces:
>
>     svn_error: #21091 : <RA layer didn't receive requested OPTIONS info>
>     The OPTIONS response did not include the requested activity-collection-set.
>     (Check the URL again;  this often means that the URL is not WebDAV-enabled.)
>
> In the Apache logs I see:
>
>     127.0.0.1 - - [11/Apr/2002:09:39:53 +0200] "OPTIONS /repos/svn HTTP/1.1" 200 0
>
> Now, I have *no* idea what that means :-) Does anybody else? What
> is an activity-collection-set? What 'OPTIONS' info should have been
> there? Why isn't Apache giving it to it? Thanks!

See the bits I underlined? ;)

> Alexis

Sander