Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by 鞠適存 <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/03 08:46:49 UTC

question about released version id

hi,

I wonder how to make the hadoop version number.
The HowToRelease page on the hadoop web site just describes
the process about new release but not mentions the rules on
assigning the version number. Are there any criteria for version number?
For example,under what condition the next version of 0.18.0 would be call as
0.19.0, and
under what condtion  the next version of 0.18.0 would be call as 0.18.1?
In addition, did the other Apache projects (such as hbase) use the same
criteria to decide the
version number?

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Chu, ShihTsun

Re: question about released version id

Posted by ChihChun Chu <st...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot, Owen and Rasit.
Is there any rule for deciding incompatible API changes will be put into
trunk or branch?
The criterion is "time" or "importance of these changes" or "number of these
chnages" or others?

Chu

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi, here is the versioning methodology of Apache Portable Runtime,
But I think hadoop's is much or less the same..

http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

Rasit

--
M. Raşit ÖZDAŞ