Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2017/06/15 10:18:27 UTC

FYI, working on moving to JBake for the Sling website

Hi,

FYI in case you haven't noticed I started working on this in the last
few days with some discussions at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-6955

I'll update that ticket when I have more concrete progress, just
wanted to make sure this list knows about it in case someone wants to
comment or contribute.

The conversion looks pretty good now, see the TODO list at
https://github.com/bdelacretaz/sling-jbake

Site build instructions are also there if someone wants to have a look,

-Bertrand

Re: FYI, working on moving to JBake for the Sling website

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> wrote:
> ...I did start  a POC last year with JBake and Thymeleaf...

Ok, sorry I didn't remember that. I went with GroovyMarkupTemplates as
I like that language quite a lot in general.

I'll see if I can get that website up on a temporary domain so that we
can fully test it, the todo list has nicely shrunk after my travel
last week.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Thursday 15 June 2017 06:18:27 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FYI in case you haven't noticed I started working on this in the last
> few days with some discussions at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-6955
>
> I'll update that ticket when I have more concrete progress, just
> wanted to make sure this list knows about it in case someone wants to
> comment or contribute.
>
> The conversion looks pretty good now, see the TODO list at
> https://github.com/bdelacretaz/sling-jbake

8D... I did start  a POC last year with JBake and Thymeleaf (see my
contributions to JBake and its Maven plugin) but stopped it because of endless
discussions here at Sling. Good to see some progress related to our website.

Thanks, Bertrand!

O.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...what are the problems this will solve and what
> are the benefits? So far I've not heard of JBake at all....

Some of that has been discussed at SLING-6955.

The main problem is the Apache CMS not being developed anymore,
INFRA-13644 for example took a long time to solve.

A publishing process that runs locally is much more convenient to use,
and can help getting more website contributions - also because we'd be
using a more usual publishing process.

There are many website generators similar to JBake, I selected it as
several other Apache projects are using it and it's written in Java,
so more hackable/fixable by us if needed.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Sorry, but I have to ask, what are the problems this will solve and what
are the benefits? So far I've not heard of JBake at all.

Thanks
Carsten

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote

--