Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2011/11/09 12:44:15 UTC

[csv] Java 5?

Hi,

Any objection to bring [csv] into the third millennium and make it use
Java 5?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
+1

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
JAXB2 seems to be the item that comes up the most as Java6 dependent.

Hen

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Ring <sj...@jdns.org>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 10/11/2011 09:21, James Carman a écrit :
>>
>> It might need a rename, since it looks like its scope has changed.  It
>> doesn't really just deal with CSV files anymore.  It allows custom
>> delimiter characters.  I have a few other suggestions as well:
>
> Do you have another name in mind?

-1 to not needing name change per Jörg.

>> 2.  Change references to CSV to Csv in the class names.
>
> I'm hesitating on this one. There are many examples in the JDK of the
> uppercase form (XMLFormatter, SAXParser, URLConnection, etc). For a short
> 3-letters acronym I think it's fine, but for a longer one I would downcase
> (CorbaConnection, SaslException are other examples in the JDK).

I agree with Emmanuel. -1 to the change.

Hen

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Adrian Crum
<ad...@sandglass-software.com> wrote:

> Or "Delfis"

I believe that's a registered trademark.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 11/10/2011 12:19 PM, James Carman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Emmanuel Bourg<eb...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Do you have another name in mind?
>>
> Not really.  We could derive "Doofus" from Delimited-File Streams. :)

Or "Delfis"

-Adrian

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

> I'm not saying we do this consistently, though (commons-net has FTP in
> their class names).  I think the camel case variety is more readable
> and helps with variable auto-naming, etc.

+1

Gary

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Do you have another name in mind?

Not really.  We could derive "Doofus" from Delimited-File Streams. :)

>> 1.  Change the char properties that can be "disabled" to Character
>> objects.  Thus, a null value indicates disabling that feature?
>
> I was about to do this but I refrained because it doesn't apply to all the
> character properties. For example the delimiter can't really be disabled.

We should try to be a little more object-oriented in our approach, no?

>> 2.  Change references to CSV to Csv in the class names.
>
> I'm hesitating on this one. There are many examples in the JDK of the
> uppercase form (XMLFormatter, SAXParser, URLConnection, etc). For a short
> 3-letters acronym I think it's fine, but for a longer one I would downcase
> (CorbaConnection, SaslException are other examples in the JDK).

I don't know about setting our bar at the Java language when it comes
to code quality (java.util.Date anyone?).  Besides, we should at least
try to be consistent with ourselves:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/provider/ftp/FtpClient.java
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/provider/tar/TarFileProvider.java

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 10/11/2011 09:21, James Carman a écrit :
> It might need a rename, since it looks like its scope has changed.  It
> doesn't really just deal with CSV files anymore.  It allows custom
> delimiter characters.  I have a few other suggestions as well:

Do you have another name in mind?

> 1.  Change the char properties that can be "disabled" to Character
> objects.  Thus, a null value indicates disabling that feature?

I was about to do this but I refrained because it doesn't apply to all
the character properties. For example the delimiter can't really be
disabled.

> 2.  Change references to CSV to Csv in the class names.

I'm hesitating on this one. There are many examples in the JDK of the
uppercase form (XMLFormatter, SAXParser, URLConnection, etc). For a
short 3-letters acronym I think it's fine, but for a longer one I would
downcase (CorbaConnection, SaslException are other examples in the JDK).

> 3.  Use a "builder" pattern to define the formats.

Done already! The format is now immutable and uses chained withXXX
setters as suggested by Stephen.

I'm pondering the removal of the constructor taking all the parameters
to force the use of the builder pattern. Once removed we could delete
the DISABLED constant, since there is no point enabling a feature and
disabling it afterward (we always start disabled by default).

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Jörg Schaible
<jo...@scalaris.com> wrote:

> MS always happily interpreted CSV in various ways. Excel used to export CSV
> with semicolon as delimiter running with a German Windows locale :-/
>
> Wikipedia also has an article about "Delimiter-separated_values", but I
> doubt that our users will associate with the abbreviation "DSV" something
> useful regarding the functionality of our component. IMHO is "CSV" as name
> still appropriate as long as its default settings will act as expected.

Really?  Microsoft?  Do you really want to go there? :)

I know I almost missed it when looking for some help with a
tab-delimited file parser.  I actually only discovered that it worked
on other delimiters after checking the code out of SVN.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi James,

James Carman wrote:

> It might need a rename, since it looks like its scope has changed.  It
> doesn't really just deal with CSV files anymore. It allows custom
> delimiter characters.

MS always happily interpreted CSV in various ways. Excel used to export CSV
with semicolon as delimiter running with a German Windows locale :-/

Wikipedia also has an article about "Delimiter-separated_values", but I
doubt that our users will associate with the abbreviation "DSV" something
useful regarding the functionality of our component. IMHO is "CSV" as name
still appropriate as long as its default settings will act as expected.

> I have a few other suggestions as well:
>
> 1.  Change the char properties that can be "disabled" to Character
> objects.  Thus, a null value indicates disabling that feature?
> 2.  Change references to CSV to Csv in the class names.

+1

> 3.  Use a "builder" pattern to define the formats.

+1

- Jörg

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
+1 too, IIUC flatfile should support CSV as well!!
Simo

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 10/11/2011 19:45, James Carman a écrit :

>> Then I think, why would I want to not use JDBC with a driver for CSV
> files.
>
> Doesn't that already exist?

It does:

http://csvjdbc.sourceforge.net

But it's LGPL, so we must reimplement it ;)

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 10, 2011, at 13:50, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:56 AM, James Carman
>> <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>wrote:
>>
>>> +1 from me.  What about rolling it into io?  It is I/O after all.
>>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Hm, yes. it is IO, but so is a database, and a CSV file is a subset of the
>> flat-file format, which is itself a simple database.
>>
>> It feels out of scope.
>>
>> Then I think, why would I want to not use JDBC with a driver for CSV files.
>> Hm...
>
> Aaarrggghhhhhhhhh!!!! :)
>
> 5 minute timeout for Gary to regain sanity.

:) then I think about JPA and Hibernate.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 10/11/2011 19:09, Simone Tripodi a écrit :

> For what I can see[1] Preon is released under GNU-GPL - and this alone
> should justify the existence of an ASF Commons components such as
> Flatfile.
>
> Just my 2 cents, all the best,

Actually it's GPL+Classpath exception, which is just fine to me. I'm not
religious about licenses. As long as I can use it without too much
restrictions it's fine.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

>> [flatfile] is for ascii/binary files right? In this domain there is already> the excellent Preon project, I'm not sure it's worth competing.>> http://www.slideshare.net/springerw/preon-jfall-2008-presentation-746831?type=powerpoint>>> Emmanuel Bourg>
sorry but this time - the first, maybe - I don't agree. The point is
not technical, question is that here at ASF we create, build, maintain
and release *community driven* projects, released under a friendly
license; one of the ASF mastra has always been "community over code",
that's why myself - and I guess not just myself - joined the ASF.
Otherwise we should start let die a lot of commons components,
including CSV, Digester, Discovery, DBCP, ... because of
faster/improved existing alternatives/forks.
I *personally* would avoid competing only if alternatives to our
projects/components have (even a subset of) our requirements.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/preon/

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Just put Simone on it and it'll be out in no time (both of them)! :)

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys!!!

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 10, 2011, at 4:11, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 10/11/2011 09:21, James Carman a écrit :
>> It might need a rename, since it looks like its scope has changed.  It
>> doesn't really just deal with CSV files anymore.  It allows custom
>> delimiter characters.  I have a few other suggestions as well:
>
> Do you have another name in mind?

Flat file is what it is.

Gary

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Big +1.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 for java 6

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 November 2011 14:04, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 3:51, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 09/11/2011 13:59, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>>> +1.
>>>
>>> You can even make it use Java 6 as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>> Well I'm not sure there is enough meat in [csv] to require Java 6, but
>> at least Java 5 opens a wide range of possibilities. For example I
>> turned the parser into an iterable to make it usable in foreach loops.
>> Also the bean mapping could be done easily by adding some annotations.
>>

> Going to 6 instead 5 would be a good test of for Commons in general,
> even if this specific component is not meaty enough yet.

Not sure what the benefits would be.

It's already possible to compile and test components using Java 6.

Requiring Java 6 even though Java 5 is sufficient for the needs of the
component seems wrong, as it potentially excludes users.

The move to Java 5 is different, as it brings a lot of benefits
(improved memory model, concurrent, generics etc); Java 6 mainly
offers extra methods and bugfixes.
There are fewer reasons to require Java 6, but of course Java 5 code
will run under Java 6+.

Commons components should be usable by as many as possible, so should
not arbitrarily require a more recent Java version than necessary.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [csv] Java 5?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.