Posted to cvs@incubator.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2016/09/06 09:37:31 UTC

[Incubator Wiki] Update of "September2016" by AndySeaborne

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "September2016" page has been changed by AndySeaborne:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/September2016?action=diff&rev1=20&rev2=21

Comment:
Taverna

  = Incubator PMC report for September 2016 =
-
  === Timeline ===
  ||Wed September 07 ||Podling reports due by end of day ||
  ||Sun September 11 ||Shepherd reviews due by end of day ||
@@ -42, +41 @@

  ||[none] ||Tephra ||
  ||[none] ||Traffic Control ||
  ||[none] ||Wave ||
+

  === Report content ===
  {{{
@@ -181, +181 @@

-   The project is still being setup in Apache Incubator and is presently.
+   The project is still being setup in Apache Incubator and is presently.

    Received Software Grant Agreement (SGA) from Gigaspaces.

@@ -189, +189 @@

-   This would be the first report for AriaTosca.
+   This would be the first report for AriaTosca.
    The project is presently being setup in Incubator.

  Date of last release:
@@ -319, +319 @@

    1. Work with key target communities (Apache Jena and Eclipse RDF4J) to
       ensure Commons RDF meets potential user requirements and expectations
-      towards next versions of the Commons API.
+      towards next versions of the Commons API.
    2. Engage wider RDF community
    3. Graduate to Apache Commons

@@ -348, +348 @@

    Building on the idea of Commons VFS-style integration
-   we have added branches that add bindings for
+   we have added branches that add bindings for
-   Eclipse RDF4j (formerly Open RDF Sesame),
+   Eclipse RDF4j (formerly Open RDF Sesame),
-   Apache Jena and JSON-LD-Java.
+   Apache Jena and JSON-LD-Java.
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/branches

    This has raised interest within Jena
-   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-1015
+   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-1015

-   We should now be moving towards a 0.3.0 release,
+   We should now be moving towards a 0.3.0 release,
-   and working towards graduation to Apache Commons PMC,
+   and working towards graduation to Apache Commons PMC,
    we are adapting the build to be more compatible with the
    Commons release process https://commons.apache.org/releases/
-
+

  Date of last release:

@@ -1310, +1310 @@

  --------------------
- Streams
+ Streams

- Apache Streams (incubating) unifies a diverse world of digital profiles
+ Apache Streams (incubating) unifies a diverse world of digital profiles
- and online activities into common formats and vocabularies, and makes
+ and online activities into common formats and vocabularies, and makes
- these datasets accessible across a variety of databases, devices, and
+ these datasets accessible across a variety of databases, devices, and
- platforms for streaming, browsing, search, sharing, and analytics use-cases.
+ platforms for streaming, browsing, search, sharing, and analytics use-cases.

- Streams has been incubating since 2012-11-20.
+ Streams has been incubating since 2012-11-20.

- Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
+ Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
-
+
-   1. Community growth and PMC maturity.
+   1. Community growth and PMC maturity.
-   2. Demonstrate a consistent release schedule.
+   2. Demonstrate a consistent release schedule.
-   3. Participation of project community within related standards-bodies and Apache projects.
+   3. Participation of project community within related standards-bodies and Apache projects.

- Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
- aware of?
+ aware of?

-   No commits or mailing list activity since the last report.
+   No commits or mailing list activity since the last report.

- How has the community developed since the last report?
+ How has the community developed since the last report?

-   No commits or mailing list activity since the last report.
+   No commits or mailing list activity since the last report.

- How has the project developed since the last report?
+ How has the project developed since the last report?

-   No commits or mailing list activity since the last report.
+   No commits or mailing list activity since the last report.

    No issues resolved

- Date of last release:
+ Date of last release:

-   2015-04-26
+   2015-04-26

- When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
+ When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

    2015-02-23: Robert Douglas elected as committer / PMC member

@@ -1435, +1435 @@

  aware of?

-   The community is moving towards graduation, by preparing a
+   The community is moving towards graduation, by preparing a
-   Graduation Maturity Assessment
+   Graduation Maturity Assessment
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAVERNADEV/2016-03+Taverna+Graduation+Maturity+Assessment

-   While we wished we could have released all of Taverna's git repositories
+   While we wished we could have released all of Taverna's git repositories
    through the Incubator before graduating, we realize that with limited
    developer time, getting all of them to a cleanly releasable state
-   could remove focus from development of the core repositories.
+   could remove focus from development of the core repositories.

-   As we an important point of Incubator releases is to ensure the project
+   As we an important point of Incubator releases is to ensure the project
-   understands the ASF release process, including release review and voting,
+   understands the ASF release process, including release review and voting,
-   IP management and licensing compatibility; as well as accepting
+   IP management and licensing compatibility; as well as accepting
    contributions. We believe we have gained that after 3 release votes
    https://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/taverna/source/
    and 7 GSOC/student contributors.

-   We have however identified the need for a License Review of the remaining
+   We have however identified the need for a License Review of the remaining
-   git repositories that have not yet been formally released through the
+   git repositories that have not yet been formally released through the
    Apache Incubator (e.g. to ensure ASF file headers), which we are now completing:
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAVERNADEV/2016-09+License+review
-
+
    We might consider not including all of these repositories as we move towards
    graduation - we already have an alternative home https://github.com/taverna-extras
    for dormant extensions.
@@ -1480, +1480 @@

-
+
    We have seen an upsurge in activity with
-   two successful GSOC projects as well as several
+   two successful GSOC projects as well as several
    new plugins from other students. Some of them have shown interest
-   in continued contributions, which we must take into account
+   in continued contributions, which we must take into account
    for proposing new committers.
-
+
    This have admittedly taken some focus from the committers
-   from the incubator graduation path - so we're now
+   from the incubator graduation path - so we're now
    putting effort back into finishing our License Review.

@@ -1501, +1501 @@

  When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

    2015-12-04
-

- Signed-off-by:

+ Signed-off-by:
+
-   [ ](taverna) Andy Seaborne
+   [x](taverna) Andy Seaborne
    [ ](taverna) Daniel J Debrunner
    [ ](taverna) Suresh Srinivas
    [ ](taverna) Suresh Marru
@@ -1514, +1514 @@

  Shepherd/Mentor notes:

+ The Taverna podling is hindered by a lack of active mentors (myself
+ included) - the project has appealled to general@ on a couple of
+ occasions
+
+ 3 of the 4 active contributors are from one institution and contribution
+ is related to EU project commitments.  The codebase is large and has a
+ long history.  One option is to identify a "core" and move out the rest
+ until such time as they are sustainable.  More active PMC/commiters would be a
+ big boost.
+
+ The comment from the last report applies:
+
+   Drew Farris (shepherd):
+     Little mentor activity on the mailing lists, could use another active
+     mentor. Healthy activity in the community.

  Tephra
@@ -1720, +1735 @@

    [ ](wave) Upayavira

  Shepherd/Mentor notes: