Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2015/06/04 17:14:56 UTC

References for DITA as a tool for on-line help

http://www.slideshare.net/abelsp/using-dita-for-online-help
Slideshare has a lot of other presentations on DITA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture
Short with Hello World example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_help
Alternatives for producing on-line help - DocBooks and DITA considered
together since they are closely related

http://www.ditawriter.com/sample-dita-produced-output/  Has links to
actual documents produced from DITA sources.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/30122/DHSC_BestPractices_November20_rdr.pdf
exhaustive article on ways to deliver help authored by DITA tools. It
shows that an investment in DITA content will always be protected even
if the OFBiz UI and help delivery technology changes.

Table of Contents
*Introduction to the DITA Help Best Practices Guide*

*Developing DITA-based Help for Existing Help Environments*
-Arbortext Digital Media Publisher
-Eclipse Help
-CSHelp Plug-in
-Eclipse_CSH Plug-in for Dynamic Context-Sensitive Help
-Eclipse Help
-Leximation AIR Help Plug-in
-Microsoft HTMLHelp
-Context-Sensitive Help using the Enhanced HTML (htmlhelp2) Plug-In
-The DITA Open Toolkit HTMLHelp Transform

*Developing Custom DITA-based Help Systems**
*-DHTML Effects in HTML Generated from DITA
-DITA-OT Plug-ins
-HTMLSearch Plug-in
-TOCJS and TOCJSBIS Plug-ins
-Dynamic Rendering of DITA into XHTML
-JavaScript-Based Context Sensitive Help
-WinANT Options Supporting HTML-Based Output
-WinANT Options Supporting Microsoft® HTML Help

*Developing DITA-based Help for Existing Help Authoring Tools**
*-Converting DITA Content to WebHelp using RoboHelp®

There are a lot more articles on using DITA content in On-line help.

The same content is available for other uses.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: References for DITA as a tool for on-line help

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 06/06/2015 23:33, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> OK DITA seems powerful but not an easy tool to work with (not only because of XML verbosity but also tags and concepts to learn)
> Sincerely the examples in http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture frightens me a bit (and remembers me how verbose is XML)
> We would need to convince the community it's the gith tool for OFBiz documentation... and more...
>
> Also I wonder if we simply don't know Docbook enough to be really able to compare them...
> What would be the cost of moving from DocBook to DITA in OFBiz?
>
> Is http://www.dita-ot.org/ of value?
> Found this by change https://doconv.readthedocs.org/en/latest/features.html
> With http://www.dita-ot.org/2.0/readme/dita2docbook.html this would allow to mix tools (I think we should go that way, but have a tool of reference
> in OFBiz, still to choose if we don't keep Docbook)
Actually the question is how much these converters are reliable... Only a POC can demonstrate...

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Sharan,

Though reassured about DITA, I'm in the same mood for now... We have already stuff ready and Tom Burns's work with Webhelp was looking good, surely
far better than what we render at the moment...

Jacques

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I use
- Eclipse/STS for authoring http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=206
- Maven with DITA-OT for publishing in Eclipse
- Subversion for SCM
- Bugzilla for issue tracking

This is all integrated into Eclipse.

Ron

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ron,

You are waaaaay ahead of me. I'm still taking baby steps. It's a good
solution though.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ron,