Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/07/10 18:02:47 UTC

Re: tomcat 3.2 beta1 - command line too long

>I just tried to ran tomcat version 3.2 beta1.  The tomcat.bat  gave me an
>error message: "command line too long". It appears that tomcat.bat file
>has many lines that are longer than 128 characters. I used win98, jdk1.2.2
>( sometimes jdk1.3).  I don't know how to increase the length of the lines
>in DOS and the use of backslash(\) to continue the line did not work.

There shouldn't be any lines in tomcat.bat which themselves are longer than
128 characters.  Perhaps they will be when wildcards are expanded.

I've seen several suggestions that this may be due to classpath.  If this
remains a problem for Win9X users, perhaps we should make some of the
classpath processing conditional on WinNT/Win2K?  But before any changes
are made, I would prefer if somebody would verify that the problem is the
classpath, and that removing this from the batch file fixed the problem.

- Sam Ruby

Re: tomcat 3.2 beta1 - command line too long

Posted by trang le <le...@bellsouth.net>.
The command lines in tomcat3.2b1 are certainly longer than the ones in
tomcat3.1. although I don't know what caused the problem.  If I left the
line as is then I got the error message "command line too long", if I took
the "-classpath %CP%" off the line then I got another window open but
disappeared quickly.

I just subscribed to this list last night, so I don't know what other people
said about the problem "may be due to classpath"? Can you explain it?

trang le