Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/29 20:13:48 UTC

Issue Reporting

It has been reported to me that Issues are disabled at
https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx-apps:
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx-apps>
https://bitbucket.org/nuttx/apps/issues/15/null-dereference-in-ftp-size-command

We need to decide how people report problems to us.  GIT issues? Jira?
dev@apache.org?  We need to make some decisions.  I think Jira would
give us the best bug tracking options.  GIT issues is well integrated on
github.  I think dev@apache.org is a bad idea.

There is a backlog of Issues/bugs at
https://bitbucket.org/nuttx/nuttx/issues?status=new&status=open and
https://bitbucket.org/nuttx/apps/issues?status=new&status=open (and also
issues in the top-level NuttX TODO file).  I have a personal list of
things that I thing should be done as well.

We probably need another Confluence page talking about bug-reporting.

Greg

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> I like this. I prefer that we use Apache's Jira for several reasons,
> especially in light of the integration that Brennan describes.

I think we should give it a try.  I don't know enough to have a strong
opinion.

Jira also integrates with an Agile project management process. Is that
something we want to consider?  Having some project management
infrastructure would be better than trying to manage everything through
a massive number of emails.

But again, I am interested but not yet a proponent.

Greg

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> +1 for github

There has been no formal [VOTE] started.  Any formal vote must be
preceded by a [DISCUSS] so that we can all understand the issues and we
can all be qualified to vote.

It is probably too early to start a discussion or vote since we have not
eventthe vaguest plan in place for project management yet.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by David Sidrane <da...@nscdg.com>.
Thank You!

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> I was going to only apply it to the os repo so we have one place to
> triage/manage and people might not know where to file an issue or I
> might span both. We can use labels to further filter, this is how I
> usually see it done for projects with multiple repos.
>
> We can always enable the apps one later if it makes more sense.
Historically, people have use both depending on the repository that
contains the issue.  This will certainly come up again when we try to
explain people why we do not accept issues in the apps/ repository.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Xiang Xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I have closed it.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Xiang Xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
I justed open a JIRA for this:

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 6:55 PM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another thing, most issues are reported by email.  How would that fit in?

One of two ways.

Either we'd ask the reporter to file an issue.

Or we would file the issue ourselves.

Either way, triaging of issues would need to be an ongoing effort to remove
invalid issues, merge duplicate issues, verify that unique issues are
actually valid, etc. Since this project is a volunteer effort, that would
depend on someone (or multiple people) being motivated to do it, or issues
will accumulate indefinitely.

Nathan

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

RE: Issue Reporting

Posted by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com>.
Hi Brenan,

See Below.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Alin Jerpelea <je...@gmail.com>.
+1 for github

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting

Posted by Anthony Merlino <an...@vergeaero.com>.
My experience with Jira is that it is powerful if you know how to use it,
but that it can be really clumsy and difficult to learn. There's also a lot
of pain with certain actions, like switching issue types in bulk and things
like that.

Github on the other hand is much more straightforward and simple to use.

I'd also think Github will be better for engaging new community members to
solve existing issues, and to have higher chances of users reporting
issues. This is because Github Issues have become very popular and people
are much more familiar with it than Jira. Not to mention when they go to
the Github page to look at the codebase, they immediately find the issues
in the same place. I think this will help our image when users are
evaluating NuttX.

I'm a little torn on this one, but I'd say Github wins for me.

+1Github Issues

Re: Issue Reporting

RE: Issue Reporting

Posted by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com>.
+1 for using github

I have used both - I am more failure with github then Jira capabilities.

Jira for me was very slooooow.

So if there is a Jira PRO on the team and they can automate Github PR/Issue
tracking and syncing/closing into Jira that would be the way to go.

The benefit is that disjoint tools are not in the way of project success.

The Key features of Github that make it the right *integrated* choice are:

1) It automatically crosslink issue and pr and can close issues on PR
coming in.

2) Cross repo PR/ISSUES are already supported with inline mark up [SEE
SISTER {PR|ISSUE}] (url)

3) Git hub ass project board and supports kanban boards[1]

4) As Alin mentioned Template driven USER first encounter triage

4) A single login/location for complete lifecycle.

David

[1]https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban/boards

Posted by Alin Jerpelea <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Issue Reporting