Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by stekreg <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/10 15:05:45 UTC

c++ clients: activemq-cpp library size

Hi,

I would like to use activemq-cpp on different machines and many of them are
linux machines with limited resources which means the library size is an
issue. I do not need the total bunch of features activemq-cpp offers,
nevertheless activemq is the tool of choice. I tried to use some of the
build options but the lib-size seems not to be affected by them. I wasn't
able to get a library size smaller than 8.5MB (libactivemq-cpp.so) with
version 3.4.5 and 14.6MB using 3.5.0 (after the make install the strip
command was used). By the way I was wondering why the size of the 3.5.0 lib
is so much larger than the 3.4.5 version.

an example of the options I used to make the libs:
./configure --prefix=$HOME/cms --disable-ssl --disable-doxygen-doc
--disable-doxygen-dot --disable-doxygen-html --with-pic=no

Could anyone out there give me some hints how to decrease the library size
of activemq-cpp without changing any source code. Maybe it would be an
option to build a library without cms? Any ideas?

Thanks for helping

Re: c++ clients: activemq-cpp library size

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 06:05 -0800, stekreg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use activemq-cpp on different machines and many of them are
> linux machines with limited resources which means the library size is an
> issue. I do not need the total bunch of features activemq-cpp offers,
> nevertheless activemq is the tool of choice. I tried to use some of the
> build options but the lib-size seems not to be affected by them. I wasn't
> able to get a library size smaller than 8.5MB (libactivemq-cpp.so) with
> version 3.4.5 and 14.6MB using 3.5.0 (after the make install the strip
> command was used). By the way I was wondering why the size of the 3.5.0 lib
> is so much larger than the 3.4.5 version.
>
> an example of the options I used to make the libs:
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/cms --disable-ssl --disable-doxygen-doc
> --disable-doxygen-dot --disable-doxygen-html --with-pic=no
>
> Could anyone out there give me some hints how to decrease the library size
> of activemq-cpp without changing any source code. Maybe it would be an
> option to build a library without cms? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for helping

If you are trying for smallest footprint then I'd suggest using a
minimal STOMP client as that will probably get you down to the smallest
possible bit of code.

Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121