Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/24 12:47:09 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Manually adding an entry to httpd.conf for a domain that would share a DocumentRoot with an existing domain/account

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:52 AM, John Martin <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to add a domain to httpd.conf manually, because it shares a
> DocumentRoot with an already existing account.

Manually, as opposed to what?

> However after restarting httpd, I get a 403 Forbidden page for the
> domain, so I have made a mistake or missed something. What is the
> correct way to replicate what the Apache 1.3 code does, in Apache 2?
> That is, adding a domain which shares a DocumentRoot with an existing
> domain.

Let's try to solve your problem...

What is the output of the following command?
httpd -S

What is in your error log?

Do you have the correct NameVirtualHost statement somewhere?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Posted by John Martin <gi...@gmail.com>.
> Let's try to solve your problem...
>
> What is the output of the following command?
> httpd -S
>
> What is in your error log?
>
> Do you have the correct NameVirtualHost statement somewhere?
>
> Krist

Thank you for the suggestions - I hadn't checked the Apache error log,
and in that log I found the error:
"(13)Permission denied: /home/account1/public_html/.htaccess
pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable"

.htaccess was already readable so I'm not sure what the cause of this
problem was, but after googling it seems this is solved by
reinstalling Frontpage extensions (which I'd uninstalled earlier). I
was then able to uninstall the extensions again and the issue did not
reappear. Strange error.

John