Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2017/11/21 12:07:26 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Debian9 systemvmtemplate

All,

I wanted to revive this thread and bring recent progress to your attention:

- We're now able to build debian9 based systemvmtemplates successfully that work okay-ish as CPVM/SSVM host and some initial networking support (dns, dhcp, basic zone, advanced zone: firewall, pf, snat etc.) for VirtualRouter

- Several optimization improvements around disk size, services load time, a lot of work still to be done

- Several services migrated to use systemd, pending optimizations

- PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2211

I could finally deploy a test KVM environment (advanced zone) and run some smoke tests on it, they are available in the above-mentioned PR. Most failures are around networking and services.

Given Debian7 has EOL-ed, and Java7 too, I think it's about time to work on this and aim to get this done for ACS 4.11 (end of Q1/2018). Please share your feedback and comments.

Using Trillian we can test the "migration to a debian9/java8 based template" PR against KVM, XenServer and VMware, however, what other hypervisors should we be testing/supporting - HyperV, baremetal, OVM etc? What are the status of these hypervisor plugins - baremetal, hyperv, lxc, ovm/ovm3, ucs?

Please advise if you can collaborate with me on this, especially around testing. Thanks!

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi René,

Thanks for your comments, this will be a strictly maintenance project at the moment I think we should consider expanding its scope to include any new feature/integration. The current aim and scope of this work are to migrate the base image to Debian9 and ensure no regressions. However, feel free to discuss/work on the proposed features/integrations separately.

Regards.

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Rohit